Existing Member?

Paul & Luiza´s World Tour

Rajasthan - Udaipur & Kumbhalgarh Fort & Ranakpur Temple

INDIA | Wednesday, 2 March 2011 | Views [2872]

City Palace

City Palace

Udaipur – (no, YOU die poor, Muahahahahaha!) - So many palaces, feeling like an old queen already!

We leave Goa on March 2nd, taxi to Margao, then 2AC (2 tier with AC) train to Kota Junction, 23 hours, nice (not). Then, a bus from hell, 8 hours from Kota to Udaipur. We are so tired, and the bus ride’s got it all, bad road, the screaming baby, the loud people, the loud people ALWAYS on cell phones, the staring guys, the staring kids, the staring women, you name it. It’s actually an old city bus with hard seats, our arses are already on fire, 36 hours on the road…

Welcome to Rajasthan, on the edge of the desert, plenty of camels, gorgeous colourfully dressed women, man in amazingly multicoloured – meaningful - turbans, impossibly long mustaches, stylish knee high boots, unique architecture with more forts, palaces and temples than you can count and of course, loads and loads of backpackers, each of them feeling rather unique…

After a (government controlled) rikishaw ride, there is beautiful Udaipur. We can’t believe our eyes, lovely buzzing Udaipur is really all we expected and more. Our hotel is really cool and it used to be a royal palace, tres chic, I’m already feeling like a princess (more like an old queen, really…). The rooms are big and bright, pool, restaurant, nice staff, it feels like heaven. Walking along the lake, checking out the little shops, palaces (the main one is fabulous), temples, boat rides, yeah, pretty sure we can hang around for a few days. And so we do.

Anyway, the architecture is really unique, the City Palace is really amazing and worth an entire afternoon visit. Jagdish Temple is ok but there are a lot of lovely small temples around the lake area. There are nice shops and tailors, palaces and museums, anyway, a lot to do and sea. We hire a rickshaw for a city tour and we finally see it: YES, a shopping mall! Small but true! What a view, we stop and top up on our toiletries in an AC environment, fixed price, hassle free, what a totally new feeling!  Well, we also see the amazing Cenotaphs, the place they memorialised their cremated royalty. Check out our pics, really cool place.  

Then we do the big all day tour by taxi, to visit the imposing Fort. It’s a really amazing achievement. Finally we are impressed again after what we’ve seen in the Middle East, such a spoiler that place. We walk around all day, climbing like happy little goats and paying a fortune for a diet coke. Yeah, feeling like real tourists, photos galore to prove it. From the fort, we head off to the Jain Temple at Ranakpur.  A gorgeous building all carved in white marble, with one thousand or something columns, all with different carving patterns. Anyway, another awesome day out. The only thing spoiling our little heaven in Udaipur is the food. We try street, cheap, mid range and expensive and got nothing good!! Well, to be honest, got an unforgettable samosa and a “chilli” to die for from a street guy.

 

About pauluiza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.