Existing Member?

Paul & Luiza´s World Tour

Tamil Nadu - Madurai and Trichy

INDIA | Thursday, 13 January 2011 | Views [1486]

Madurai - Meenakshi Temple

Madurai - Meenakshi Temple

Tamil Nadu – Madurai / Tiruchchirappalli (Trichy) – The “word” without end

We arrive in Madurai in the evening and, after our ruthless rickshaw driver, Babu, knocks down a couple of people along the way, we find a decent room with a bad bathroom.  We wake up in the morning and go to the wonderful local temple.  It’s also pilgrimage time and all the pilgrims wear a black “sarong” and no shirt or shoes, quite an amazing sight. As I said before, it’s really hard to be OCD in India! You have to leave your sandals and wander around barefoot. So, to get to the temple and inside the temple, no shoes, you can imagine how difficult it is for someone who wears thongs (flip-flops) to shower in hotels and even to walk around at home… HELP!!!!! And this is just our first Hindu temple in a big city this trip, so many more to come... poor little feet! I want a pedi and I want it NOW! So, we wander around the temple for hours and then it’s time to catch a train, 3 hours, cattle class, to Tiruchchirappalli (Trichy, for the in crowd).

Trichy is SO nice, clean and organized, looks quite prosperous and the traffic is not as unforgiving as Madurai. The hotel is pretty new and clean (yes, white linen and towels, this place is going off!  We try to find some breakfast in the morning other than wadas and dosais as they can be a bit much on an empty stomach and we had no dinner last night. We find the tourism information office and the officer is so helpful and well informed, is this Indian heaven? After some wonderful tandoori chicken and veg biryiyani, we set off to explore the local temples. We take the local buses, quite an experience in itself and visit the main temples, more barefoot time for the OCD woman, foot wipes anyone? The first temple has some 400 or something steps and the second one is a huge, beautiful complex.

We go out for dinner and there is a live performance at the local square, with lovely music and dance, and we find out it’s festival time in Tamil Nadu. It’s Pongal time, the biggest festival in the state. We have a great time in Trichy but it’s time to say goodbye as tomorrow we are off to Pondicherry.

 

About pauluiza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.