Existing Member?

Paul & Luiza´s World Tour

The Sphinx, the Pyramids and more rocks than you can poke a stick at

EGYPT | Tuesday, 12 October 2010 | Views [743]

Saqqara site

Saqqara site

Destination: Giza, Dashur & Saqqara

Hired a taxi and driver (Hassan) to take us around with a nice couple we met at Indian Consulate. Much better than taking a tour. First stop, the Giza Necropolis on the Giza Plateau. The Sphinx and the Pyramids are one of the few things we can guarantee won't disappoint. Absolutely breathtaking and funnily enough they look quite small until you get closer and it's only then you realise how enormous they are!! Unfortunately Paul can't go inside the Great Pyramid as they only sell 300 tickets a day and they're sold out (of course!)  No problem though, just looking from the outside is awe-inspiring.

Next stop, Dashur (with two important pyramids - Red and Bent Pyramids) in the desert.  Quick trip there (this time Paul goes inside the Red Pyramid - so named due to the use of red granite inside).  Not much inside and reeks of donkey piss but an experience (but he can hardly walk for the next 2 days from climbing back up the steep 60 metre ramp).

Last stop - Saqqara. Incredibly significant site (with Pyramid Texts etc) but by this time we're all a bit exhausted, dehydrated, hungry and have had enough desert, hot wind and sand for one day.  Things to see are all quite remote within Saqqara and you have to walk a lot or go by horse, donkey etc.  Pity! Maybe next time.

Anyway, back to Cairo and a nice cold drink, some lunch and crash with the A/C...  Picking up the Indian visa today (we got 6 months whoo-hoo) and we fly out on Saturday.  Bye-bye Egypt, bye-bye the Middle East (it's been fun but don't know if I can say we're gonna miss you....)!!!

About pauluiza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.