Existing Member?

Paul & Luiza´s World Tour

Greece - Peloponnese Road Trip - Part 3

GREECE | Monday, 10 October 2022 | Views [61]

Peloponnese Road Trip Part 3 - Koroni, Finikounda, Methoni & Pylos

We leave Petalidi and as our next check-in is only at 4 pm, we decide to go for a bit of sightseeing along the way. First stop is the gorgeous town of Koroni. We drive up to the beautiful, inhabited castle and monastery with breathtaking views of the ocean. Koroni, built around the slopes of a small peninsula in the Peloponnese, looks and feels like an island. Down below at the port, the esplanade, lined with fishing boats, tavernas and cafes, creates a lively setting for this small town. The cobbled alleys and the colourful houses, dotted with flower pots add to the atmosphere of this pretty and very pleasant town so we wander around until we feel hungry. We have a pit stop to check out Finikounda beach, have another feta pie and make our way to Methoni where we are going to stay for 2 nights. We stay at Mythos Suites (30 euros), very nice and comfortable, really close to the beach, well equipped kitchen and lovely views of the castle. We have a nice meal at Thalassa Taverna and at the end of the meal, the waitress brings us a couple of chocolate ice creams, I say thank you but we don’t eat sugar, so another half litre of wine on the house it is. We go for early morning runs and long walks along the beach, also exploring the stunning and very unique castle from many different angles, believe me, there are many ways to see this castle. The castle of Methoni, actually a fortified city, is one of the most important and the most beautiful castles in Greece. It was built by the Venetians after 1209 and it's separated from the land by an artificial moat. This town is absolutely gorgeous and laid back, highly recommended if you need to pick a base to explore this region. We then make our way back to the really pretty and cool town of Pylos. We’ve been here before and really enjoyed it. We walk around the lovely beaches and coves till we get hungry. Well, tbh, we are back here again just to try this famous mixed grill at the The Corner of Taste (Η Γωνιά της Γεύσης) taverna As I said before, "we will travel for food". We have a massive and delicious mixed grill for 2 and 1/2 litre of rose wine for 15 euros, really worth the trip. After the protein overload, we make our way back to Methoni to digest, chill and pack as we’e leaving next morning.

 

About pauluiza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.