Existing Member?

Paul & Luiza´s World Tour

No, not another road trip, is it? – Spain

PORTUGAL | Saturday, 26 October 2019 | Views [260]

Marvão

Marvão

Badajoz, Mérida, Cáceres in Spain and Marvão in Portugal

Yeah, it’s that time of the year again, wedding anniversary, 26th this time, and as our “family” tradition goes, it involves a jam packed, lots of fun, food and local wine road trip to new places in both Portugal and Spain. We’re so looking forward to this one as we’ve been a bit tired with all the renovations, noise and dust happening at our place. This is going to be a quick road trip as we have to be back home on Monday as the renovation works continue. After a quick stop in Lisbon to get some Asian food supplies and of course, a visit to IKEA, we drive to the beautiful city of Evora, in the Alentejo Region. As we’ve been to Evora quite a few times, this time we just stop for lunch at A Gruta Restaurant, one of our favourite places to eat bbq chicken in Portugal.

After lunch we continue to Spain, into the Extremadura region, both the and the Extremadura are wine and olives region with very similar terrain. Our first stop is the stunning border city of Badajoz, known for its Moorish historic quarter with the fortress like Cathedral of San Juan Bautista. Overlooking the city, the Alcazaba of Badajoz is a Moorish citadel with fortified walls and lovely gardens. All the cafes and bars and pumping with people of all ages, in true Spanish style. We walk around and take it all in, then it’s time to proceed to our roadside Kavanna Hostal for a well deserved rest. We have a a few beers & tapas and call it a night.

Next morning, after a gorgeous Spanish breakfast of tostada con tomate y jamon Iberico, washed down with a few cups of cafe con leche, we make our way to the historic and pleasant city of Mérida. Mérida, the capital of western Spain's Extremadura region, was founded by the Romans in the 1st century B.C. Remains of the ancient city include the still-used Teatro Romano, which has a double tier of columns rising onstage. The ancient Puente Romano, a 792m bridge spanning the Río Guadiana, adjoins the Alcazaba, a 9th-century Islamic fortress built over Roman walls. We walk around quite a lot and also take the opportunity to top up on some exquisite Extremadura wine and olive oil and Sherry Vinegar.

We have a quick menu del dia (Spanish set menu), for lunch in a small town just outside Mérida then make our way to the stunning city of Caceres, definitely the highlight of this trip. Cáceres is a city founded by the ancient Romans, it retains widespread evidence of subsequent occupation by many different cultures. Its old town, Ciudad Monumental, has a mix of Gothic and Renaissance architecture, with cobbled medieval streets, fortified houses and palaces. Encircled by 12th-century Moorish walls, it also has around 30 towers, some occupied by nesting storks. Absolutely stunning and highly recommended, check out the photos, such a lively, thriving city.

After sightseeing in Caceres we make our way back to the Alentejo region, Portugal. Our destination, this time is the gorgeous village of Marvão. Marvão is a majestic whitewashed village on top of a very dramatic hill, gorgeous historical houses and churches and cobblestone lanes. On the top of the hill a formidable castle is located, built into the rock at the western end of the village, dating from the end of the 13th century, but most of what you see today was built in the 17th century. The views from the castle are stunning and the village itself is, no doubt, one of the most beautiful places we’ve ever seen. After walking around this beautiful village and taking in all the sights, it’s time to head home. Mission 26th wedding anniversary road trip completed, very successfully, will see you again next trip, cheers.

Time to say ciao to 2019, and what an amazing year it’s been as we both turned 56, healthy and happy and full of plans for the future. We begin the New Year in Siem Riep, Cambodia with family and friends. Then go back to Bangkok for 10 incredible days of fun and fabulous food, then back to Delhi, India for a few more days with our friends. Back in Portugal, we decided to buy a centenary old house in a gorgeous small historical village and renovate. We fall in love immediately, with both the village and the house. Then I had a quick week in Brazil with family and friends and meet my first grand nephew from the Lavor side, such a cute little thing!!! We go to Germany Australia, to spend time with family and friends, then back to Germany again. Back to Portugal we continue renovating our house, which now is finally beginning to look like us. For our 26th wedding anniversary, we do a quick but amazing road trip through Portugal and Spain. Well, it’s been a great year but it’s time to say hello 2020, wishing you a fabulous New Year, lots of health and happiness, a light soul, a happy heart and money in your pocket, lots of love, Luiza & Paul

 

About pauluiza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Portugal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.