Existing Member?

Paul & Luiza´s World Tour

Malta - 50 shades of stunning sandstone

MALTA | Tuesday, 28 June 2016 | Views [683]

Azure Window - Gozo

Azure Window - Gozo

Lisbon to Malta - 50 shades of stunning sandstone (Malta, Valletta & Gozo)

We leave our house in Figueira da Foz, Portugal and catch a train to Lisbon, where we check in at the Flor da Baixa Pensao for the night. After a dash for chicken & chips with wine, we go back to the room and try to get some sleep before we catch our flight to Rome early next morning. We fly to Rome wih TAP and then after another very crowded Ryanair flight, we arrive in dreamy Malta.

We have done a bit of research and everywhere it says the public transportation is good and cheap, and right they are. All the bus tickets are valid for 2 hours, allow a change of bus and cost 2 euros per person. We get to the flat very late and very tired after 2 flights and long hours at airports. The bus leaves us very close to the flat and when you ask for directions, everyone speaks English, so no problem there. Ken, the owner of Studios 23 apartments, in Birgu (45 Euros per day) is a very nice guy who knows a lot about the islands and loves a good chat, impossible to come and go without a little conversation about what to see and do. The flat is small but well , equipped with a kitchenette, fast wifi and is well located for a short holiday. Link here - http://www.booking.com/hotel/mt/studios-23.html

Well, now I have to tell you guys a little story, 25 years ago BP (Before Paul) I was in Bali, Indonesia and lots of us were travelling solo and used to hang out together by the pool. One of the guys was from Malta and the way he described his country in the finest details got stuck in my mind and since then I started to “fantasise” about it. I also thought that, for some reason, Malta was a very expensive country to visit, which it really isn’t! So, it’s morning and it is time to start checking out Malta and make the old dream come true! We go out and all we have to say is, it is definitely one of the most beautiful places we’ve ever seen, really! The entire island is built of sandstone and the majestic constructions contrasting with the unique blue of the sea makes for picture perfect sightseeing. Even the buildings flattened during WW2 have been and are still being rebuilt with such care, it feels like we have gone back in time, to the Templar wars and Medieval intrigue. We walk around amazing Valletta and also wonder around the 3 ancient cities La Cottonera (Birgu, Bormla and L-Isla) so many times, as they are so beautiful and unique, we can’t stop taking photos, all fabulous BTW, unbelievable!

We also take a trip to the island of Gozo to see the Azure Window, and it is very far and very hot but when we get there, we see it is completely worth it and it is such an amazing sight. Ken, our host, said that the Window is going to crumble soon as erosion is doing its job, so I strongly recommend you guys go and check it out ASAP. We also try to go to the beach but competing with the sightseeing was not an option as we only have 6 days here.

Our flat was located in Birgu one of the 3 old cities and in the beginning we thought we were staying at the wrong end of town, that was until we walked to the “right end” and realised that, the best thing over there is the view of Valletta. St Paul’s & St Julian’s Bay are very busy with hordes of very young sunburnt package tourists walking around with shopping bags and plenty of bars and restaurants to make sure you can’t sleep properly or do any serious sightseeing the next morning. OK, its closer to the beaches if you are here for a beach holiday, but if you want to just see the sights and these incredible sandstone constructions till your eyes hurt, we recommend you make your base in one of the 3 old cities. We can not stress more how beautiful Malta is and the more I think about it the more beautiful it becomes in my mind, absolutely 10 out of 10!

 

About pauluiza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malta

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.