Existing Member?

Pack Light Walk Slow Calvin: "It's a magical world out there Hobbes, ol' buddy.

Hobbes: "Let's go exploring."

Reflections

USA | Thursday, 19 January 2006 | Views [710]

12:02 PM (again...) CST

Reflections...


I actually did it!  I traveled to a very foreign country all by myself for three whole weeks!  I was happy, sad, physically sick, mentally and physically exhausted.  I had a good cry here and there - maybe a little homesick, maybe a little over-tired, maybe a little lonely, maybe a little hormonal.  But I had some good laughs too.  I met lots of fun people, and quite a few whom I'll keep in touch with for a long time.

I tried every (and I mean every) food once and learned how to use chopsticks without dropping noodles in my lap or flinging chunks of unrecognizable meat across the room.  There are a few things I would have done differently, but the good thing is I can't remember what they are; and there are a few places I didn't get to see, but that gives me all the more reason to go back!

They say there's more honor in being a "traveler," but sometimes it really is OK to be just another tourist.

I heard a lot of stories and learned that I don't know near as much as I thought I did.  I learned that the hospitality of people you don't know and may never see again can change the course of your life.  And I learned that it's nice to have company, but sometimes you just need to be on your own to keep hold of your sanity. :)

Tags: musings, vietnam

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.