Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Legends at Sleepy Hollow

USA | Sunday, 15 September 2024 | Views [84]

Hail, Hail, the gang's all here—Matt, Debra, Jenny, Ryan and us

Hail, Hail, the gang's all here—Matt, Debra, Jenny, Ryan and us

WE AGREED TO MEET AT SUNNYSIDE on the Hudson River near Tarrytown NY. Jenny, Matt and son Ryan came down from Connecticut, Debra from nearby White Plains and we came across from North Jersey. Debra and Jenny are “John One’s” nieces which makes them Connie’s “nieces-in-law.” They have kept in touch with Connie even after their uncle died and Connie married me. Got it?

nn

           Gardens at Sunnyvale

nn

                  This way to Washington Irving's home tour

n

                        Connie and Debra catching up

n

                      Jenny, Connie and Debra

n

                      Ryan acting his age

Sunnyside was the home of Washington Irving, the guy who gave us both Rip Van Winkle and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, and a tour of his house would be a great way to start reminiscing. We arrived early and had a chance to look at the gardens before Debra cruised in, convertible top down—it was that kind of a day! While she and Connie talked of many things I went up to the parking lot to fetch the others.

n

        The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving

n

                   Ride, Ichabod, Ride!

n

        Ichabod Crane shadow puppet

Sunnyside was all tarted up for Halloween, a tad early methinks but what does me know? Straw bales, pumpkins and cobwebs prevailed and this must be a spooky place on All Hallows Eve. With the gang all assembled we began with a video starring shadow puppets including a pumpkin wielding Headless Horseman pursuing terrified Ichabod Crane, a much different looking version than the Disney story we grew up with. There was much about Irving I didn’t know—in fact early on he was better known in Europe than the US and was even appointed Minister to Spain. He once met George Washington for whom he was named—there’s even a painting to prove it.

b

       "And that's the way things were"

b

        Where the stories unfolded

b

              Irving's mom asks for Washington's blessing on her son

But this is a story about Connie’s family, not fantasy so we adjourned to Horsefeathers Taverne in Tarrytown for a spot of lunch and a bit of catching up. Since they are a generation younger than us—two generations for Ryan—there were few health issues to discuss and after more than 20 years of retirement we couldn’t contribute much job-wise. Suffice to say everyone is doing well.

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.