Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Phong Nha Ke-Bang National Park

VIETNAM | Sunday, 17 March 2024 | Views [49]

Crimson Sunbird on Ginger or

Crimson Sunbird on Ginger or "Red and Ginger"

BY THE TIME ANDRE JOINED US for dinner on Friday in Phong Nha, we had already seen 27 species—eight new ones for Connie. While it never actually rained on Thursday, the dense fog and drizzle made photography difficult to impossible. Fortunately, today was more or less a recon day and we can hope for more opportunities and better conditions.

n

                   Dense fog

n

                    Heavy Drizzle 

                     Funnel-web Spider Web

The “official” bird for Saturday would  have to be the lackluster Sooty Babler, recently rediscovered and found only here in Phong Nha Ke-Bang National Park. It was difficult to see high up on the dark karst rock and nearly impossible to photograph in the morning fog. 

nn

                      Sooty Babbler, today's Target Bird

nn

                  The new communism—Pay up or Get out!

nn

                             Great Hornbll

n

                              Green-Earred Barbet

As the weather cleared the park rangers appeared—communists all—with hands out for a bribe. The birds also became more active and we were able to get better photos.  Our “favorite” birds of the day were the unexpected Great Hornbill and the Green-eared Barbet. Total species today, 58—new species 14.

nn

                    Pied Falconet

nn

                   Orange-Bellied Leafbird

mm

                          Necklaced Barbet

mm

                           Streaked Spiderhunter

Today was the biggest day of birdings so far—we saw sixty-nine species with twelve of them new to us. Best of all, the weather was much better! it was a bit hazy when we spotted the Asian Barred Owlet, Asian Fairy Bluebird and Pied Falconet silhouetted against a gray sky but Connie managed to tweak the photos a bit. Colorful forest birds like Orange-billed Leafbird and Necklaced Barbet showed better, even the Streaked Spiderhunter with his long curvy bill stood our against the foliage. 

mm     nn

       Jerdon's Baza                                Rufous-Bellied Eagle

 

I even managed to capture a couple of high flying raptors; Jerdon’s Baza and a Rufous-bellied Eagle. But the bird of the day—at least the brightest shiny one—was the Crimson Sunbird sitting on a wild ginger plant.

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.