Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

A Tale of Two Vietnams

VIETNAM | Thursday, 14 March 2024 | Views [44]

Looking north on Hien Luong Bridge separating the Two Vietnams

Looking north on Hien Luong Bridge separating the Two Vietnams

WE SPENT THE NIGHT IN DONG HOI after traveling 170 kilometers from Hue. Booking a private car rather than taking a bus assured a timely arrival and gave us a chance to stop and stretch our legs along the way.

nn

                   La Vang Catholic Pilgrimage Site, a puzzlement

nn

            Original Church at La Vang

Our first stop was at the Catholic pilgrimage site of Our Lady of La Vang—what god is doing in communist Vietnam is another puzzlement. There wasn’t much of interest for those of us who don’t believe in miracles but the hundred pilgrims chanting and praying who obviously do. 

nn

           Looking South across the Ben Hai River

nn             

     Ho Chi Minh 

                                   nn

                                      One part of the Story                               

                                                           nn

                                                             Loud Propaganda

mm

    Dedicated to Vietnam’s eternal desire for peace, national independence, and reunification

The Hien Luong Bridge across the Ben Hai River was the dividing line on Highway 1 between North and South Vietnam—Yellow to the South and Blue in the North. Today the bridge is a pedestrian only tourist site “dedicated to Vietnam’s eternal desire for peace, national independence, and reunification;” as victors the communists got to write the history, build the statues and curate the museum. The artifacts and photos are all accurate, their significance depends on which side of Hien Luong Bridge your loyalties were.

nn

          Anonymous Woman with a Universal Story

But there is another side to the story. While crossing the Hien Luong Bridge I met a Vietnamese-American woman traveling with her mother who is about my age. “Mama-san” was born in Hanoi. When Vietnam was partitioned in 1954, her family moved to Saigon in South Vietnam. After the fall of Saigon and communist takeover in ’75. she eventually worked her way to America. She asked if I had been in the war—when I nodded “Yes” she smiled and squeezed my shoulder. This may have been something better than the “Welcome Home” we veterans never received.

nn

                     Post War Dong Hoi (internet photo)

 nn

                 Hail, Hail—the Gang's All Here

The port city of Dong Hoi was destroyed by US B-52 bombers in 1965 and has been rebuilt as a resort town. Our group assembled for dinner at Muong Thanh Luxury Hotel sans Andre—our South African guide was delayed by a combination of visa and travel issues—so Quang, the local guide chaired the meeting. Dave and Norrine from Vancouver are with their friends Alastair and Hedda from Toronto. Lindy from California and “the other John” from Chicago are the single travelers. And we make eight. The average age of the group skews in the upper 70s, serious birders and Rockjumper addicts all—some with over 50 birding trips under their belts—despite which I, for once, am not the least serious birder!

nn

                Can you keep a secret? Ours is more comfortable

With two guides and a driver the 12-passenger bus would be crowed so Rockjumper arranged for an additional SUV where Connie and I will probably travel for the entire trip. After a 4:30 wake-up we checked-out, loaded luggage, sorted out the seating arrangement and set out for Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park.

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.