Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

New Caledonia Surprise!

NEW CALEDONIA | Tuesday, 20 February 2024 | Views [50]

Connie and Isabella, Blue River Provincial Park, New Caledonia

Connie and Isabella, Blue River Provincial Park, New Caledonia

ISABELLE WAS WAITING AT THE PIER when Majestic Princess docked in Noumea. Even though we hadn't actually booked a trip with her company, Caledonia Birds, she took a chance that it was us by John’s outsized camera and Connie’s binoculars. Did we still want to go birding on Grande Terre? A quick stop at the ATM for cash to pay her and just like that, we were off in her new Hyundai van. This would be Connie’s birthday surprise.

nn

                    Happy Birthday, Connie from Majestic Princess

n

                         Goliath Pigeon

 bb

                     New Caledonia Cuckooshrike

It took two hours to reach Blue River Provincial Part where most of Connie’s target species “might” be found. By then we learned Isabelle has aFrench father and Vietnamese mother, has a PhD from University of New Caledonia—go Kagus!—and started guiding post-Covid. Her husband is a programmer with a flexible schedule that lets him watch their son during her busy season.

n

               Coconut Lorikeet

v

         Ohmygod, a Crow Honeyeater

By the end of our short day—the last shuttle bus left at 4PM—we had seen or heard all but one of the birds on Connie’s list, plus a few surprises. In fact when we saw both the endemic Red-throated Parrotbill and the Crow Honeyeater, Isabelle screamed “Ohmygodohmygodohmygod,” giving us the idea that she really didn’t expect to see them. Unfortunately I missed a photo of the Parrotbill and the Crow Honeyeater wasn’t one of my best. I did manage to track down a Kagu, the official bird of New Caledonia.

bb

                   Yellow-bellied Flyrobin

nn

                   Southern Shrikebill

bb

        Kagu, the Official Bird of New Caledonia

Despite a sudden deluge we made it back to the ship in plenty of time to celebrate with a Coke Zero. This was the best and most unexpected day of the cruise!

 

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Caledonia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.