Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Winding Down Our Oz Odyssey

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 10 February 2024 | Views [225]

Room with a View and a great place to wind down

Room with a View and a great place to wind down

THE BEST PLACES TO STAY AREN’T ALWAYS at the beach. Tim’s AirBnB in the bush-town of Wandandian is idyllic; green fields, towering eucalyptus, chickens, horses—even Soxy, the affectionate English Chocolate Lab. I wish every host put this much thought into his place—everything was perfect! 

bb

               Perfect location, perfect property, perfect host!

b

                Soxy wants John to come out and play

Wandandian is ideal for the “winding down” stage of our Oz odyssey. We have laundry to do, journals to catch up, podcasts and books to download before our Fiji cruise. Yet we are near enough to Jervis Bay National Park for a few more attempts to photograph the frustrating Eastern Bristlebird. We have heard his loud melodic call—evidently even they can’t see each other in the bush. We have even caught glimpses but never enough for a photo. 

nn

                     Not only Endangered but possibly Invisible

nn

                   Looks like a "birdy" trail to me

There are only three locations where these shy, ground-dwelling songbirds live and Jervis Bay NP is one of them. On our first attempt we met another birder who claimed he saw two that very morning but once again we only heard them. Two more trips were just as frustrating, possibly more so since we (usually Connie) had to “break trail” though the sticky webs of numerous Golden Orb Spiders, aka “Yucky” spiders. The silver lining; it didn’t rain,  the trails were nice, we got some exercise and John managed photos of a White-throated Treecreeper, a Yellow Thornbill and a pair of Leaden Flycatchers.

nn

                  "Yucky" Spider in her web

nn

                      Along came a Spider, Golden Orb Spider

nn

                 Leaden Flycatchers, juvenile and Mom

n

          White-Throated Treecreeper, Jervis Bay NP

We had booked the Princess cruise to Fiji back when we thought it would count to “reset” our Australian visa clock—which we now know it doesn’t. It’s still less than we would spend on terra firma for food, lodging and a car not to mention we can celebrate Connie’s birthday in Fiji. It seemed like such a good deal we even added another week to Tasmania and back—same ship, same cabin.

n

        Notice the Shark Barrier nets, Kurnell Beach

n

                747 taking off across Botany Bay

So now we are in Kurnell Beach on Botany Bay, not far from where Captain James Cook landed back in 1770. The apartment is fine but the view across the Bay leaves something to be desired unless you like to watch planes skim across the Bay from Sydney Airport. Which is where we drop off the rental car in just a few hours. Ta-ta.

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.