Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

The Great Alpine Road

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 18 January 2024 | Views [87]

Summit View, Great Alpine Road

Summit View, Great Alpine Road

AS ROAD TRIPS GO, THE GREAT ALPINE ROAD isn’t as well known as The Great Ocean Road—heck, we were all the way to the charming town of Myrtleford before we even realized we were on it! But for our money the 300+ kilometer Great Alpine Road is every bit as wonderful as its better-known cousin. 

m

                   Surprise! You're on the Great Alpine Road

nn

                        Kismet, doncha think?

Originally built for horses and carts  to access the alpine gold fields, today the Great Alpine Road is the “highest, year-round accessible sealed road in Australia.” And it runs from Wangaratta, where we were, to Bairnsdale, where we are going. Kismet, no?

n

                 Approaching Bright

n

                        Tourist season in Bright

n

                           Maybe we will return in Autumn (internet photo)

If we had known about the town of Bright we might have considered staying for a while—maybe we’ll return some autumn. But we already had a reservation in Bairnsdale so we pushed on—onward and upward as it were. 

n

                            At the Top

nn

                       Izzie shows us the twists and turns

nn

                      It snows in Australia, too (internet photo)

The Great Alpine Road tops out at 1845 meters and has nearly as many twists and turns!  We stopped for some photos at “The Cross” on the summit just before the ski resort at Mt. Hotham. Yes, they have skiing in Oz!

nn

                     Stablehouse, Bairnsdale, where the livin' is easy

m

                    View to the Kitchen

n

                         "This one is just right," said Goldilocks

The Stablehouse, circa 1891, was one of the original houses for the Bairnsdale Racecourse when it was located just around the corner. Now it is another fabulous AirBnB blending the best of the old with modern conveniences in a neighborhood of equally charming homes.

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.