Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Naracoorte Caves National Park—Underground Down Under

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 1 December 2023 | Views [103]

Connie and Giant Short-faced Kangaroo, Naracoota Caves NP

Connie and Giant Short-faced Kangaroo, Naracoota Caves NP

WE HAD NEVER HEARD OF AUSTRALIA’S FOSSIL Mammal Sites World Heritage Area and all this while it’s been right under our feet! The constant drip…drip…drip of rainwater filtering through porous limestone over hundreds of thousands of years created a labyrinth of caves along the Limestone Coast. And while Naracoorte Caves aren’t such a much as caves go—it’s chambers aren’t large nor its speleothems impressive—Naracoorte has something even Mammoth Cave or Carlsbad Caverns doesn’t.

b

                   Entrance to Naracoorte Caves National Park

n

                      Diarama of prehistoric marsupials

n

           Stalactites "grow" upward, Stalactites hang downward

nn

                       Not in the big league of caves

For over 200,000 years a particular chamber in the Naracoorte Cave system has been a pitfall trap, a hole from the outside world into the cave where the unwary may meet their end. There is no escape the giant Short-Faced Kangaroo who fails to look before he leaps or the Giant Wombat who stumbles into the hole. And it will be the last supper for any Marsupial Lion who enters hoping for an easy meal.

b

               A Word to the Wise

b

                     In the Fossil Chamber, Victoria Fossil Cave

n

                    Work in progress 

Actually, there are probably many undiscovered chambers with remains but we visited the Victoria Fossil Chamber where paleontologists have been studying the remains of these and other ancient animals that once roamed the area. Some of the remains have been reassembled while others lie in situ. And there are more yet to be unearthed.

n

                  An uncooperative Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo

n

                      Curiosity killed the Kangaroo

Not all of Naracoorte National Park is underground. There are plenty of hiking trails on the surface and we wandered around a bit after lunch trying in vain to get an angle on this Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo. And I hope this curious kangaroo watches how he goes or he may end up in a hole in the ground.

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.