Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Sicily: Trapani and Marsala

ITALY | Sunday, 12 March 2023 | Views [88]

It isn't Holland but it's still picturesque

It isn't Holland but it's still picturesque

TRAPANI IS BEST KNOWN FOR SUMMER TRIPS to the Aegadian Islands of Favignana and Levanzo. We never had any intentions of swimming and the stormy seas would keep us ashore but we thought Trapani would make for a good stop before Palermo. If we had known that our AirBnB would be far and away our best in Sicily we might have stayed longer. 

 

    đźŽ¶This is the Way We Wash our Clothes, Wash our Clothes, Wash our Clothes 🎶

nn

        Pedestrian Street in Trapani's Centro Storico

nn

         Hidden Courtyard, Centro Storico

n

           Whimsical Street Art, Trapani

bb

                Along the Mediterranean, Trapani

Yesterday, after starting the laundry and searching out a replacement keyboard for Connie’s MacBook Air we took a walk into Old Town Trapani. While we didn’t find much of historic interest, Centro Storico was truly charming with hidden courtyards, wonderful old buildings and vicolos leading up to the corniche where the howling wind whipped spray into our faces. John took advantage of the great kitchen and prepared his version of a Sicilian dinner—spinach and ricotta tortellini with mushroom marinara sauce, crostini and garlic bread. So “Grazie mille, Vitalba, for the wonderful kitchen!"

n

                 Old School Wind Power

bb

                 Still grinding out the salt

n

                 Windmill for grinding salt

n

                    Flamingos can't resist salt ponds

The Salt Pans between Trapani and Marsala have been in operation since Norman times. They were so important to the economy that Frederick II had them nationalized in the 12th Century. Windmills still dot the horizon from a time when they pumped water from pond to pond and ran mills to grind the course salt. It’s not Holland but they make for nice photos. The salt pans are still churning out salt today but the area is under management of the WWF—World Wide Fund for Nature, not the phony wrestling organization. It is a unique environment that attracts large numbers of bird species including Flamingos, Avocets, Stilts and Ducks of all feathers.

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.