Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Sicily: Taormina and Catania

ITALY | Wednesday, 1 March 2023 | Views [100]

Elephant Statue and Duomo, Catania

Elephant Statue and Duomo, Catania

WITH SYRACUSE OUT OF THE WAY and heavy snow making Mt. Etna out of the question, we decided to drive to Taormina for the afternoon. We weren’t particularly interested in another 3rd Century Greek theater but rumor has it Taormina is famous for its cannolis. We may have changed our minds if we had known that the road in was one-way, up, up, uphill to enter and down, down, down to leave. Unless you have a resident placard or are a scofflaw—guess which category we fit—there is virtually no parking near the Old City.  

b

               No cars and no parking

n

                  Taormina, cute and quiet today

nn

                           Cannoli, desert of champions

Taormina must be hopping in the summer, especially when the cruise ships are in port. Today it was really charming—and quiet, just the way we like it.  As we expected, the Greek Theatre didn’t compare to others we’ve visited like Aspendos and Myra in Turkey but the cannoli lived up to its reputation.

b

                       Third Century Greek Theatre in Taormina

b

                       A better example from Myra, Turkey

Figuring Catania had to be more than our dodgy neighborhood, we followed the tourist route on Wednesday, on foot so we wouldn’t lose our parking spot. Stop #1 was Teatro Massimo Vincenzo Bellini. Bellini was an opera composer whom, like many others of his ilk, we’ve never heard of. Even so he is known as “Swan of Catania.”

nn

                     Bellini Theater, Catania

b

                  Piazza dell Duomo, Catania

b

               University of Catania, Go Friars??

Every town worth its Aglio e Olio has a Piazza del Duomo and a duomo to go with it. Catania’s is unique because of the elephant statue standing center-stage. For some reason during the 9th to 11th Century Muslim rule Catania was know as Madinat al-fīl, “The City of the Elephant. The Duomo itself is quite nice, too. A bit farther on we came upon Catania University, a former Dominican monastery. Those Dominicans didn’t skimp on decoration, either inside or out. 

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.