Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

All Roads Lead to Rome

ITALY | Thursday, 23 February 2023 | Views [100]

Contemplating the Glory That Was Rome

Contemplating the Glory That Was Rome

ALL ROADS LEAD TO ROME. And so do many airline connections. Rather than endure a long layover on our way from Istanbul to Sicily we decided to spend a few days in Rome. His Holiness couldn’t fit us into his busy schedule but we were still able to get tickets to the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel on-line for Friday.

n

            Gotta have a ticket

n

             One of the Quattro Fontane

n

               Guard at the Presidential Palace

We had to do a little hotel shuffling—the place we had reserved was open but was undergoing major construction, the elevator wasn’t working nor was the wifi—but Booking.com was OK with our last minute move. They should be—Hotel Relais Quattro Fontane was nearly twice the price! It’s just down the block from the Presidential Palace and within walking distance of most everything.

b

             Maybe Next Time

b

                       Augustus

n

                      Got Milk? Romulus and Remus

Rome has a great metro system but except for the train between the airport to Roma Termini we walked. If we had given it more thought, we might have joined a Vespa Tour—I think you’d agree it’s more authentic than a Segway. 

b

                 A Hazy Shade of Winter

n

             Bridge to Trastevere

n

                         It may be authentic but it could have been better

This was our fourth time in Rome and there wasn’t much we hadn’t seen so we just wandered around the Forum area. What began as a spring day darkened and turned chilly as we crossed the Tiber to Trastevere for a disappointing lunch. Connie said her lasagne was OK but my pesto didn’t compare with her recipe. Who knows, maybe that’s the way it’s supposed to taste.

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.