Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Time for Málaga

SPAIN | Tuesday, 10 January 2023 | Views [101]

Holiday decorations on Calle Marqués de Larios

Holiday decorations on Calle Marqués de Larios

THE HOLIDAY DECORATIONS WERE STILL UP on Calle Marqués de Larios, turning Malaga’s oh-so-classy pedestrian mall into a magic fairyland. And it was just as beautiful in daylight. Our AirBnB was right in the heart of it all. It turned out that it didn’t really have free parking like the listing said—there is NO free parking in Malaga—but Carlos refunded us €75 when we checked in, almost enough to cover the cost of parking in a lot.

n

                   Fairyland by night

n

                        Or by Day

n

                       Fingers point to our Apartment

When this odyssey began twelve years ago, Málaga was our first stop on the Continent proper. Since we were on a cruise we had only a few hours, barely time enough to climb to the alcazar and visit the Picasso Museum. With three days in town we have time to wander around, even get haircuts!

n

                  Courtyard to Museo Picasso

m

                            Pride of the Collection "Les Demoiselles d'Avignon"

m

        Portrait of Picasso's son Paolo—when he could still paint like Raphael

I wanted another look at the Museo Picasso now that I have been exposed to more of his art in several museums. I’ve tried to grasp what he was trying to do but I still can’t buy into the hype. And I’m not sure he did either. Talking about a group of children he said, “When I was their age I could paint like Raphael. I took me a lifetime to learn to paint like them." 'Nuff said?

 m

                   Pablo wasn't a very nice guy

Whether you like his paintings or not, if Antonio Banderas' portrayal of the artist is even halfway truthful, Picasso was a first-class prick who didn't think much of women.

v

              We know what we like, Carmen Thyssen Museum

n

  Spanish painters painting Spanish scenes; Wssel de Guimbarda 1881

The Carmen Thyssen museum was a different story—the painters were unknown to us but they painted true. We could recognize the subjects, appreciate their talent and enjoy the colors. Some even took a plunge in the Impressionist pool!

m

          A leap into Impressionism—"The Concha, Night-time" (1906) Regoyos y Valdes.

m

                       "Dusk ofver the Coast of Málaga" Guillermo Gomez Gil  1918

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.