Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Tenerife: You Win Some and You Lose Some

SPAIN | Monday, 19 December 2022 | Views [99]

African Blue Tit

African Blue Tit

AS YOU MIGHT EXPECT, TENERIFE has some endemic bird species—why else would Connie be here? While some are unimpressive and easy to find, others require long drives to remote areas—sometimes twice.

n

                       Berthelot's Pipit, Easy-peasy

We quickly found several Berthelot’s Pipits along Playa los Trarjales near San Cristanos on the SW coast—finding a parking spot was more difficult. Once you head inland and gain elevation, Canary Island Chiffchaffs seem to be everywhere but their constant flitting makes getting a decent photo a chore.

n

                        Canary Island Chiffchaff in a quiet moment

Our first attempt to see Bolle’s Pigeon was a bust. We could hear one or two off the heavily forested trail near Erjos, but a noisy biology class field trip dashed any hope of seeing them. We had better luck on a cold Sunday morning when one zoomed by and landed on a dead tree, with three others as it turns out. Ours would be the first photos submitted since 2020.

b

                     A rare photo of Bolle's Pigeon

The endemic Tenerife Blue Chaffinch lives in the pine forests of Teide National Park at an altitude of 7000 feet. On the first time we made the drive, Connie thought she heard one but the strong wind made for poor birding. Second time was a charm. It was cold in the mid-40s but sunny when we returned and within 30-minutes we had photos of both male and female Chaffinches plus the cutest African Blue Tit. 

b

                                 Tenerife Blue Chaffinch 

b

                              Tenerife Blue Chaffinch

We never even got a sniff of the elusive Laurel Pigeon. Win some, lose some.

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.