Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Tenerife: San Cristóbal de La Laguna and Orotava

SPAIN | Saturday, 17 December 2022 | Views [111]

Cathedral, San Cristobal de la Laguna

Cathedral, San Cristobal de la Laguna

SAN CRISTOBAL DE LA LAGUNA, so say the brochures, is “the most beautiful city you must go to in Tenerife.” On the other hand, they say that La Orotava is “a town you must visit in Tenerife.” With two weeks to spend and a car at our disposal we were able to check out both of them!

n

                Palace of Nava and Grimon, San Cristobal de la Laguna

n

    Quiet Sunday morning in San Cristobal de la Laguna

The Spanish arrived in Tenerife in the late-XVth Century, replacing the original Guanche people who had lived in the Canaries for 2000 years. But so much of Tenerife is condos and vacation homes, colonial towns like San Cristobal de la Laguna and Orotava are a rare treat. We stopped in San Cristobal on a quiet Sunday and wandered through the historic section while locals and visitors sipped coffee, walked dogs or strolled with the family.

n

              Decked out for the Holidays

n

                Casa de los Balcones, Orotava

Orotava was in full holiday mood as we followed narrow cobblestone streets up and around, searching for a place to park. Orotava is know for its wooden balconies—Casa de los Balcones is one of the most visited sites in town.

 

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.