Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

A Change of Plans

PANAMA | Wednesday, 23 November 2022 | Views [126]

Locked in, ready to go 85 feet up!

Locked in, ready to go 85 feet up!

MAYBE YOU’RE WONDERING WHERE WE’VE been since Brazil. Or probably not. Anyway, we had airline tickets from Rio to Miami and were planning to stay in Fort Myers Beach until January but Hurricane Ian blew those plans away along with our condo and many others. Instead we hopped on the Caribbean Princess for a cruise to the Panama Canal.

n

                       Ian forced us to go to Plan B

m

                 Aboard the Caribbean Princess

Cruise lines are back to their pre-Covid selves—no testing, no masks—but the ports-of-call haven’t yet recovered. Too many people are all trying too hard for too few dollars. Falmouth is a slummy introduction to Jamaica and Puerto Limon is a back-door entry to the beauty of Costa Rica. Cartagena, Columbia was wonderful but “been there, done that” for three days back in ’13. 

nn

                            Is this Jamaica, Mon?

bb

                 Costa Rica's Back Door

b

                    A colorful—if not smiling—welcome to Cartagena

The Panama Canal is an engineering marvel, especially considering when it was built—even the “new” Agua Clara Locks, which opened in 2016, which we entered. But raising a cruise ship 85 feet then anchoring in Gatun Lake isn’t very exciting. By the way, even though the Canal connects the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans it doesn't go from East to West. It goes from North to South. Really!

b

                     Our escort into the Panama Canal

n

                        Grand Cayman, a good place to stash your money

The most “livable” of our ports had to be Kingston, Grand Cayman, a mix of Caribbean vibe and English charm. And it makes 167 countries for John, only three behind Connie now.

 

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Panama

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.