Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Algulhus Negras National Park

BRAZIL | Wednesday, 2 November 2022 | Views [98]

Black and Gold Cotinga, Algulhas Negras National Park

Black and Gold Cotinga, Algulhas Negras National Park

ALGULHUS NEGRAS NATIONAL PARK has some of the highest peaks in southern Brazil. The drive took us up to 7000 feet elevation on a truly terrible road several hours from Hotel do Ypâ and required a 4WD, not our luxury van. We crammed into the only vehicle available, a decades-old Toyota 4-seater pickup. It wasn’t until we were on the way down—constantly in 1st gear—that we learned it had no brakes! 

nn

                    The Great Cotinga Search

 bb

                         The View from 7000 feet elevation

                  b

                 Surucca Trogon, stand-in for Gray-winged Cotinga

We had literally risked life and limb to look for more frustrating ant-shrikes! We substituted a Surucua Trogan for one of our other targets, the extremely shy Gray-winged Cotinga, but got a good look at his more obliging Black and Gold Cotinga cousin  As the trip goes on, the birding becomes more difficult and the habitats more challenging. To say hiking back up the mountain road was a bitch is an understatement. 

bb

                      Brassy-breasted Tanager

               bb

                                  Gilt-edged Tanager

n

                    Golden-rumped Euphonia

Our final stop was at a rocky scenic overlook, not a particularly birdy-looking place. But one never knows. A mixed flock of some of the most colorful tanagers flew in along with a Golden-rumped Euphonia adding amazing color to the scenery.

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.