Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

On the Road in Cornwall

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 27 May 2022 | Views [108]

Cape Cornwall, not Land's End but near enough

Cape Cornwall, not Land's End but near enough

ANNEXE HIDEAWAY AIRBnB IN TRURO isn’t as central as we could wish but it is far and away one of the best—trig, tidy with all the mod/cons and just a quick shot to the A30 and the rugged scenery, ancient sites and oh-so-cute villages that make Cornwall special.

b

                    If only . . .

There are two ways to enjoy Cornwall—by car and on foot. We began with a modified Rick Steves drive, modified because have been here before and we don’t have an English Heritage pass this time and entry fees have gone through the roof. We made good time at first but once you leave the A30 it’s slow going. Cornwall’s narrow, twisty lanes and high hedges on some stretches make Devon roads feel like freeways. We put our trust in Gabi, our Garmin sat/nav, and she never let us down.

n

                       Cape Cornwall walk

b

                 Cape Cornwall Lookout

n

                     Land's End from Cape Cornwall

We heard that Land’s End, the eastern-most point in the England, has become over-touristed full of shops with pasties, Cornish ice cream and gifts. With Rick’s blessing we instead chose the National Trust site at Cape Cornwall. A short walk along the cliff and we were at the summit monument where we could see Land’s End. Good enough.

n

                           The Merry Maidens of Boleigh

b

                 Dans Meyn—Merry Maidens

Not all “henges” are created equal but England’s stone circles are all worth a visit. Especially when you have the place to yourself. The Merry Maidens of Boleigh, a circle of 19 stones, probably dates from the Bronze Age. They are know as Dans Meyn—“dancing stones” in the Cornish language and the story goes that the Merry Maidens were local girls who broke the rules on the Sabbath and were turned to stone for dancing.

n

                        Saint Michael's Mount in Cornwall

Not to be confused with Mont Saint-Michel in Normandy, Saint Michael’s Mount is on an island near Marazion in Cornwall. As if the £24 entry fee wasn’t enough of a turn-off, tickets need to be pre-booked online. Once again a view from afar would have to suffice. 

n

                              Combining form and function

Back in Truro John took advantage of the wonderful kitchen to prepare pork chops with garlic butter, sautéed broccoli and mashed potatoes. Cornish ice cream for desert, of course.

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.