Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Canterbury and Dover

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 16 May 2022 | Views [86]

White Cliffs of Dover with my Honeybunch (sans Bluebirds)

White Cliffs of Dover with my Honeybunch (sans Bluebirds)

…SPECIALLY FROM EVERY SHIRES ENDE/Of Engelond to Caunterbury they wende/The hooly blisful martir for to seke/That hem hath holpen whan that they were seeke.” So begins Chaucer’s Prologue to the Canterbury Tales. 

              Chaucer is "de Man" in Canterbury

Few knights, millers, reeves or cooks still make the 125-mile pilgrimage from the Tabard Inn in Southwark but thousands of tourists travel from London and pay the £14 admission. Our journey—a bus ride from our AirBnB in Whitstable on the coast north of Canterbury—was hardly a pilgrimage. We weren't much on saints and martyrs when we visited Canterbury ten years ago. Still aren't! We had our English Heritage pass so the Cathedral was free—today’s admission is a whopping £14!—and the Christchurch Gate is under construction; a bit off-putting. Never mind, there was plenty else to see in Olde Canterbury.

n

    Tour group waiting at Christchurch Gate

b

            Old (1500) Weaver's House, most scenic view in Canterbury

 Kindle in hand, Connie lead us on yet another Rick Steves walking tour. Rick owns a US tour company, has authored about a gazillion European guidebooks and hosts a long-running travel show on Public Television. His guidebooks are essential for DYI travel in Europe. We wandered past breweries and butchers from days gone-by, always with the Cathedral tower in view. Besides the Cathedral, his only other recommendation we skipped was a punt ride on the Great Stour. It seemed hokey and at £15 a bit pricey. My photos will have to do.

n

         Canterbury Cathedral from Butchery Lane

b

          Public Gardens and River Stour

       bb

                    Punting is big business in Canterbury

By the way, here is a translation from the Chaucer’s English:  “…specially from the ends of every county/Of England to Canterbury they travel/To seek the holy blissful martyr/Who helped them when they were sick.”

b

                  Dover Castle looms over the White Cliffs

Of course we visited the famous White Cliffs of Dover, just a hop, skip and jump from our flat. It was windy, just like the last time we were there with Dover Castle looming over the busy harbour. I guess it’s another pilgrimage of sorts.

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.