Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

If At First You Don't Succeed . . .

USA | Saturday, 9 April 2022 | Views [164]

Hooded Warbler, Sabine Woods

Hooded Warbler, Sabine Woods

SOME WOULD CALL IT INSANITY, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. But sometimes perseverance pays off. You may question the sanity of us birders—even we ourselves admit to a certain amount of quirkiness. After all, who else spends $1000 on binoculars—even more on photo gear and travel—for the opportunity to arise hours before dawn and stand outside in all kinds of weather for the chance to see a few birds? 

                 b

                                                  Purple Martin

nn

                                           Louisiana Water Thrush

But hope reigns eternal so we packed up and left the cottage at 6:30 Saturday for a final visit to Sabine Woods. We were rewarded on our last day in Texas with perfect weather, limited mosquitoes and cooperative birds. 

                       b

                                                  Black-throated Green Warbler

bb

                                Yellow-throated Warbler

In five hours we saw 45 species including yellow-billed cuckoo, Louisiana water-thrush, purple martin, wood thrush, green heron and a dozen warblers including yellow-throated, black-throated green and hooded. 

b

                             Swainson's Warbler

And after countless attempts John finally got an in-focus photo of the Swainson’s warbler, among the most camera-shy if not the most photogenic warbler. 

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.