Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Richard M. Nixon Presidential Library

USA | Wednesday, 2 February 2022 | Views [127]

Richard Nixon Presidential Library, Yorba Linda

Richard Nixon Presidential Library, Yorba Linda

THE EVIL THAT MEN DO LIVES AFTER THEM; The good is oft interred with their bones; so let it be with Nixon. With apologies to Marc Antony and Wm. Shakespeare, maybe Richard Nixon wasn’t as bad as he seemed back in the 70s. And while I wouldn’t want it spread around, I cast my first Presidential vote—an absentee ballot from Vietnam in 1968—for Nixon.

nnn

                   Richard M. Nixon Presidential Library and Museum

             b     nn

                                        Two Sides of Richard M. Nixon

We drove from our hotel in San Clemente to the Richard M. Nixon Presidential Library and Museum in Loma Linda yesterday, our ninth presidential archive. It is a comprehensive look at his life through photos, video, letters and memorabilia and includes not only Dick and Pat’s graves but his actual birthplace home. It covers his role in fostering school integration, environmental protection and social equality along with the Watergate cover-up that overshadowed his achievements and ended his political career.

bb

                    Birthplace Home

            b

                              Pat and Dick Rest in Peace

I was reminded about the turbulent and divisive 60s and 70s and about how certain we each were that we knew better. Now that we have mellowed and lost the naivety of youth, now that we have experienced the malignancy of Donald J. Trump, maybe now we can see Nixon in a different light.

 

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.