Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Busy in Bisbee

USA | Monday, 17 January 2022 | Views [135]

Lavender Mine, Bisbee AZ

Lavender Mine, Bisbee AZ

“WARREN’S PLACE” IS A CUTE 1926 CRAFTSMAN house in the Mule Mountains, a mile-high and 25 miles from the Mexican border. When a search for AirBnBs in Sierra Vista came up empty we found this place in the old mining town of Bisbee. The living room floor slopes visibly towards the kitchen and the water smells of sulfur as if the Queen Mine encroached on Hades but otherwise it’s a warm and cozy place, perfect for a week. And Bisbee is only 30-minutes from Sierra Vista where Connie’s cousin Eva lives.

bb

               Warren's Place, AirBnB

b

               Downhill to the Kitchen

When the mines in Tombstone ran dry and those in Bisbee began to flourish, Bisbee became the Cochise County Seat. Now Bisbee’s mines are closed and it, too, has become a tourist attraction complete with a few resident ghosts. We met up with Eva on Thursday outside the Courthouse where Eva's husband is a Superior Court Justice.   

n

               Cochise County Courthouse

bb

                   Mining tourist dollars, not gold

Tim gave us the 25¢ tour of his courtroom and even arranged for a visit to the upstairs jail cells, now used for storage but still depressing. We shared an early supper of talk, pizza and calzone before they had to run off to tend to their pets.

b

                   Sandhill Cranes by the hundreds

b

                 Snow Geese

Jim and Carol had just returned to their place in Tucson from their other home in Austin. We hadn’t seen each other in four years so when they offered to drive over and meet us at Whitewater Draw on Monday to see the Sandhill Crane migration, we were all in. As flock after flock of cranes and snow geese came and went we compared notes on family, friends, health and travels. 

n

                  Vermillion Flycatcher

bb

                      Norhern Pintail

We all went back to Bisbee for lunch then Jim and Carol took off to Tombstone for a look-see. It was great to see them again—the birds at Whitewater were a bonus!

 

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.