Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

The Road to Rhodes

GREECE | Saturday, 13 November 2021 | Views [155]

Virtousa in Rhodes

Virtousa in Rhodes

WE FIRST ATTEMPTED TO VISIT RHODES from Turkey in 2006 or thereabouts but it was wintertime and the ferries weren’t running, or maybe they were just avoiding Greece. Turkey and Greece have that kind of relationship. 

nn

                  Rhodes

We had better luck in the winter of ’15 traveling on the Greek ferries. Before going ashore today we re-read our journal and looked over our photos from then before going ashore today—we really enjoyed the few days we spent on Rhodes and hope to have a good time today as well.

nn

          Where Once the Colossus of Rhodes Stood

         n

                       It must have been huge!

Virtuosa docked right in the center of the old harbor making for a short walk. Our first destination was along the quay where the Colossus of Rhodes once straddled the inlet. It must have been monstrous judging by how far apart its feet were—about 30 meters. No wonder it was one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.

b

              Marina Gate to Fortress

n

      Windmills of Rhodes

n

          Street of the Knights

The fort with its massive walls and crenelations and towers is much more recent. It was built by Crusaders in days of old when knights were bold. The aptly named Street of the Knights hasn’t changed much outwardly with its rough cobbles—the quarters that once housed knights from Provence how host doctors and other professionals. There seem to be more shops than we remember but it may just be the difference in activity between the arrival of a November cruise ship and two Yanks off a ferry in February.

nn

                  Katz!

But where did all these cats come from? We counted nearly one hundred and even dropped our loose change into a collection box for cat chow. It wasn’t difficult to see who was related to whom. Maybe they should have donations for neutering, too.

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.