Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Porano and Spoleto

ITALY | Wednesday, 27 October 2021 | Views [169]

"Teodelapio" by Alexander Calder (1962) Spoleto

PORANO ISN’T A HILL TOWN—IT’S MORE of a “Hill Hamlet” but it has just as much charm as its big brother across the valley. Lo Sperone, our AirBnB of the moment, is simply wonderful—an entire house with two bedrooms, a compact kitchen, good wifi, free parking and a working fireplace!

b

                  And it's all Ours!

Porano isn’t exactly convenient to Spoleto but it was such a nice day that I hardly minded the 90-minute drive but then again, I like twisty, turny mountain roads. Spoleto falls just short of what it takes to be touristy. 

b

                  Spoleto from the fortress

The town is old but not ancient. The fortress that towers over Spoteto is interesting but had no major battles or extended sieges. The aqueduct is picturesque but you can’t cross the bridge. 

n

  Old but not ancient

                  b

                            Rocca Albornoziana 

                                       n

                                             Roman Aqueduct

The Duomo is impressive from the outside with a plain-jane interior. And there is the requisite clock-tower and a cute little park. Spoleto even has an Alexander Calder “stabile.” “Teodelapio” near the station is reminiscent of his Calder's red “Flamingo” in Chicago’s Federal Plaza. I wonder if he considered what the pigeons would contribute to his all black sculpture.

m      n

     Impressive on the outside                 Plain-Jane inside 

Spoleto had no tour buses, no shuffling groups led by a dreary woman waving a half-furled umbrella. The cafes and restaurants were serving locals and the locals were just going about their business. Autumn leaves drifted unconcernedly to the ground. 

bb

Spoleto and Porano—what a find!

 

 

 

 

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.