Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Exit Strategy

USA | Monday, 24 May 2021 | Views [291]

Playa Flamingo, Costa Rica

Playa Flamingo, Costa Rica

WE'RE BACK FOR ONLY TWO WEEKS AND already are planning our escape. Most people travel to Colorado for the skiing and hiking—we come for our annual proddings and probings. Lest you think we’re masochists, Colorado is where our doctors are—even more of them this year than last. We are well into the gauntlet of medicos—we’ve had our teeth cleaned, eyes examined and have ordered our new eyeglasses. Connie has appointments to have a crown on a cranky molar and John’s orthopedist did a final check on his shoulder. And there’s more to come before they are finished with us.

b

     Preparation is the key

Connie has been in touch with Eric, a respected birding guide in Mexico, firming up our August expedition. The plan is to meet in Oaxaca at the end of July and spend three weeks birding, ending up in Cancun. It feels good to be planning a trip again—we even ordered the field guide, Birds of Mexico and Central America from Amazon. 

b

               Sunset Heights, Playa Flamingo

But we can’t wait for August so we booked a condo in Costa Rica for the month of July. Sunset Heights in Playa Flamingo is about ten kilometers from the action in Tamarindo on the NW coast. The photos of our two-bedroom digs look wonderful and, if we can believe the reviews, we’ll be very comfortable despite July being Costa Rica’s 2nd wettest month. As a bonus, we get access to the adjacent Margaritaville Resort. 

b

               Margaritaville Resort

We haven’t bought our tickets yet but we’ll be able to fly United from Denver into Liberia and out to Oaxaca, eliminating the chaos of San Jose. Rental cars are very affordable which will partially offset the cost of a mandatory Costa Rican health insurance policy—Covid, doncha know? It will be a while before we start packing but this is almost as exciting as if this were our first trip.

 

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.