Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Rotorua — What's That Smell?

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 21 February 2020 | Views [300]

Looking down on Rotorua, Whakarewarewa Forest

Looking down on Rotorua, Whakarewarewa Forest

ROTORUA STINKS.  ‘NUFF SAID?  Geysers, mud pots and hot springs perfume Rotorua with Eau de Chemistry Lab and thousands of tourists pay handsomely for the experience.  But if you’ve visited before like we have — twice for Connie — or have had your fill of rotten eggs, there’s respite just out of town.  

bb

    Mud Pots

                          bb

                                  Splash

                                                    bb

                                                              Mud Bubble

While the tour bus crowd queued up for the $35 Canopy Walk, we wandered off into the the improbable redwood forest.  I have been whinging about the deforestation, increased population and seemingly unrestricted growth in New Zealand — a combination of nostalgia and curmudgeonliness for sure — but one thing the Kiwis have embraced are their trail systems.  Tracks they call them and they are spectacular.  

bb

  Looking up into the Redwoods    

                                bb

                                       Connie on the Trail

                                                              n

 

                                                                      John and his Camera

Walking under towering Redwoods (imported from California at the turn of the last century) is one of life’s joys.  We hardly even realized that we didn’t see any new birds including our target, the tiny Rifleman.  And a second trail led up, up, up to a platform with views of all of Rotorua’s thermal activity.

nn

 

            Source of the smell 

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.