Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

I-M-H-O

TAIWAN | Saturday, 12 October 2019 | Views [217]

Nothing compelling, Douliu Train Station from Metro Hotel

Nothing compelling, Douliu Train Station from Metro Hotel

IN MY NOT-REALLY-SO-HUMBLE OPINION, Taiwan has a lot in common with Arkansas.  Or North Dakota.  The world-class National Palace Museum is certainly worth a visit if your are in Taipei but unless you are on a business trip or, like us, are in the neighborhood with a week or two to kill there is no compelling reason to come to Taiwan.  There is enough to keep you busy if you are willing to work for it.  And it helps to have a passion like birding.  But you're not likely to see Taiwan featured on the cover of Condé Nast Traveler any time soon.  Likewise North Dakota and Arkansas.

bb

            You have to work for it

I mean no disrespect to the 25,000,000 Taiwanese, all of whom I imagine are wonderful people—despite their atrocious driving.  Case in point, when booking.com managed to get both the phone number and coordinates of Yuan Fang Homestay, last night’s destination, wrong, Connie insisted we return to Chia Shih Pao Hotel and enlist the help of the English-speaking receptionists there.  I was ready to forego our deposit and stay another night at Chia Shih Pao.  Well, they came up with a different phone number, explained our situation to the Chinese-speaking owner and convinced her to drive over and lead us back to the Homestay—at the expense of filling another room in their hotel.  Now that’s customer service!

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Taiwan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.