Existing Member?

Ed in Oz Travels around the stations & pubs of Australia

Camel Races

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 3 August 2007 | Views [940] | Comments [2]

OK

For all the things that Australia is famous for and in the interest of education, I am going to tell you a couple of facts.

1) Australia has the most camels of any country in the world.

2) Australia has the only wild camels in the world.

Consider yourself educated !!

The home of camel racing in the world has got to be Boulia in far NW Queensland.

I was there for the 2007 Boulia camel races where an outsider (7/2) won the 2007 Camel Cup over the fav (1.1/1).  As you can see from the photos camels are difficult to ride and there is no steering to speak of.  This leads to camels going the wrong way around the track, off the track or simply sitting down before or during the race. 

To add to this the camel tagging event this year was a load of fun to watch.  Camels can kick forward, sidewards. and backwards, so getting in a pen with a camel is not for the faint hearted or for the very drunk.  The aim of camel tagging is simple.  Stick a piece of gaffer tape on a camel.  Run and touch the fence, and than take the tape off the camel.  Easy.  Most of the competitors managed to stick the tape on without much difficulty, but getting it off proved to be a little more tricky.  People and camels were falling all over the place, and the people really came off worse.  The photos don't do it justice, but I also have some video footage which I will show when I get home.

Tags: Adrenaline

Comments

1

Hello Eddy

You are certainly seeing life out in Aus, not much camel racing in Wetherby / Halifax, could always start a new trend but I don't think it will have the same appeal over here.
Can't believe you are getting ready to come home for the wedding wherehas the time gone.
We have been to Aldwark Manor today to pay the balance, so Phil and I are feeling very light in the pocket, will be looking for a part time job.
Major changes yet again at HSBC, we are all displaced at area level,only problem is that the preference form does not have the option for retirement or international secondment.Leeds is to be the new regional office, there is now only one area 'Yorkshire'.
Your office drinks machine seems far superor to ours, we don't seem able to get 'XXX Gold' in cans ! I will put it up as a staff suggestion.

We all hope you have a good journey home,we'll probably see you at the Stag do 1

aLL THE BEST

Charles and Shirley

  charles and Shirley Aug 6, 2007 12:03 AM

2

Eddy

Camel racing. Remember when Mr Wagdi rang Martyn Hullah to ask for a £250k loan to set up a camel racing business in northern France or somewhere with his braaaaathers??

Great days.

If you're travelling whilst you're over in the UK and fancy a swifty / tinny / frothy one / lager or two, give me a call or email.

See ya soon mate.

  Andrew Atkinson Aug 11, 2007 3:45 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.