Existing Member?

Ed in Oz Travels around the stations & pubs of Australia

Thoughts on Home

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 9 September 2009 | Views [560] | Comments [1]

I really wanted to start this entry with a list of historic things that have happened while I have been at home, but the best I can come up with is that Oasis have split up. . . . sorry best I can do !

Well after 5 weeks back in the UK, what can I say ?  Firstly It was great to see all my family after two years.  Can you believe it’s 2 years since Andy & Em got married ?  Also great to catch up with as many friends as I did, and sorry for not catching up with those of you that I didn’t see.  Lee & Andrew in particular.  Next time guys !! 

Having spent time in a few different parts of the UK and can say that not too much has changed.  There is now a big hole in Bradford that I didn’t see last time I was over, and I’m pretty sure it’s wetter than two years ago too.  Other than that not too much has changed – there seem to be more pregnant people in Halifax so you can tell that the UK is in recession I guess.  Suppose it explains the sharp rise in the share price of Mothercare!

I had a few nights out around the country and wow first impressions are that the price of beer is so much more expensive than two years ago – in general.  Down in Newquay we were regularly paying 3.50 a pint.  Beer in the supermarket is so much cheaper and stronger however.  For this reason I would suggest that next time I come home we should just have a massive BBQ and bring your own beer.  I myself will be on water as I will still be paying debts from this trip!  One anomaly to this rule is JD Wetherspoons.  At Quamby it costs $4.50 for a Bunderberg Rum & Coke.  At Wetherspoons it costs $4.20 for two !

Being honest though, I think Halifax is a bit of a dump.  There is a nice new arcade and some really nice shops, but come 8’o’clock the pubs are the main industry in the town and they are not really very nice places to be.  I was saying to Mel that the bouncers seem to let anybody in now a days underage or not, but then we decided it was that they only looked so young because we are not quite so young anymore.

Whitby & the NY Moors are still pretty, but far too busy during the school holidays – only myself to blame for coming in the school holidays !  Newquay was brilliant, mainly because of the weather and the company rather than the place.  The beaches are nice, the sea is beautiful, the lodge was A1 (Seascape Surf Lodge), and the company – even Reddy for those that know him was top class.  The town centre however could be anywhere in the UK (even Halifax)

Andy and Amanda tied the knot and I was so pleased to be back for the wedding and I must say a big thank you to them for saving me a place and for a fantastic day.  It was great to see you both looking so happy and relaxed and I wish you all the very best for the future.  I think the highlight of the wedding were the table names – each one named after a traditional beer.  Thankfully I avoided the Rigwelter and Old Peculiar tables and I will be forever in Andy’s debt for that !!!

Also good to see Si & Emma a few months after they tied the knot.  You both looked so happy during the wedding and Phil’s speech was top class.  Great to be able to spend some time with you and hear about both the Stag Do, and wedding.  Top prize goes to Charles for booking to go back – ever after the Stag Do.  (I think all the years in the bank are finally getting to him !!)

I have managed to see quite a lot of music – Reading and Leeds festivals were on and I saw the highlights on telly – they looked like wicked events.  Unfortunately I was unable to attend as The Lipsticks were playing at the Three Hares near York and apparently I quite enjoyed it.  I know I have some photos of them and they look pretty good, can’t really remember what they sound like though. As I said the beer is much stronger in the UK !  What makes it worse is that I actually saw the Lipsticks twice !  While down in Newquay we also managed to catch the first night of the Relentless Music Festival on the cliffs above Watergate Bay.  From the photos it looks like we had a good time there too !

I have also met some really nice people that I will remember with fondness until I come home – Crazy Jane, Tony, the rest of The Lipsticks to name a few !

As I write this I am on the plane flying over a country somewhere between Abu Dhabi & Singapore 2138 miles from Abu Dhabi to be precise.  It’s minus 40 degrees c and I am travelling at 521mph.  I have 3 seats to myself and have managed to have a lie down and quite a good sleep – who needs business class?  We are about on time.

Comments

1

Hi Eddy
So many methods of communication ---- Blog/Facebook/Email/Mobile Phone/Text/Landline/Skype and good old fashioned Pen & Paper + stamp. It is hard to keep up with it all but we will keep on trying. That's a good Blog entry - really enjoyed it just as we enjoyed having you around at home.
We think you did ever so well catching up with everyone and also having so much time and patience to get your parents up to date on the computer. Many thanks. You will have to keep returning frequently to make sure we remain up to date!! Having said that Andy keeps us on track too so we are very lucky indeed and we know that.
Glad your flights went well. You will have to tell me which seats to book when we next visit you - never had the luxury of lying down on the long hops over to Oz.
Its a lovely day here today so catching up with lots of jobs which seem so much easier when the sun shines.
Hope you have managed to catch up with Will and that he is on good form.
Missed you on Skype last night but is was around 2.30 am in Oz, so didn't dream that you would still be awake.
Anyway enjoy the last few days of your free time and have a safe trip back to Jessievale. Give our best wishes to Charlie and hope she manages to tame you!
Take real good care. LOL Mum & Dad xxxx

  Mum & Dad Sep 9, 2009 8:55 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.