Existing Member?

Third Age Adventures

Mykonos

GREECE | Monday, 12 April 2010 | Views [567] | Comments [2]

WHAT A LOVELY DAY!

We arrived in Mykonos in the afternoon and were busssed into town. Our tour director Lisa took us on a walking tour for about half an hour and then left us to wander the narrow streets with all the while washed houses and coloured balconies. We are here before the tourist season so it was quiet and peaceful. We walked up to the famous windmills, and then in and out of all the little churches - really family chapels. And in and out of little shops selling jewellery and pashminas and all the usual range of souvenirs.

Eventually we decided to find a coffee shop. We have teamed up with Lynda, a lovely Americanlady travelling alone, and the three of us found a quaint Greek coffee shop right on the waterfront. We ordered coffee and were peruaded to try some Greek Saganaki - a lovely dish consisting of cheese and eggplant and herbs which we ate on Greek bread. It was lovely and we were enjoying the atmosphere when Lynda suddenly realized that there were two Greek men communicating in sign language. She also can sign and so she began "talking" to them. They were both deaf and mute and we had this wonderful conversation between the Greek men and us three, translated by Lynda. It was just a totally magic moment. The men became very emotional - I guess they don't get to communicate with many tourists. We all took photos and exchanged hugs and it was one of those lovely experiences that will define our time in Mykonos.

We are enjoying shipboard life, attending the nightly music and dance shows and drinking cocktails and sampling new food. And making new friends. The people on the tour range in age from 17 to 90, and are a mix of Canadians, Americans, Aussies, Kiwis and Phillipinos. In that order numerically. Today is a day at sea and tomorrow we will be in Jerusalem.

Comments

1

Wow! Another amazing experience! That is what I was suggesting about the unexpected. What a magic moment! All language barriers broken down and a chance to really understand a little of the lifestyle and culture of life on a Greek island. As you know, I envy you the experience.
Aren't the colours of blue and white so distinctive? That blue will stay in your mind forever.
Enjoy Jerusalem.

  The Snow Goose Apr 13, 2010 7:06 PM

2

What fantastic stories you have to tell, and I bet we ain't even heard a fraction! Keep up the good work so we all can keep traveling with you.

  magpie Apr 14, 2010 5:21 PM

About copperowl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.