Existing Member?

Third Age Adventures

Turkish Delight

TURKEY | Sunday, 11 April 2010 | Views [514] | Comments [3]

Today we have been in Istanbul and it has been amazing. Lots more climbing steps - we are becoming experts. Not. But it has been worth it to see the Blue Mosque - decorated inside with blue tiles and calligraphy and just gorgeous. We also went to Sancta Sophia - which started life as a Christian Church built by Constantine. Then it became a mosque and it is now a museum. We lunched at Topkapi palace and eyed the most amazing collection of jewels and jewelled artifacts. At the Grand Bazaar we jostled with the best of them and Bookworm developed her bargaining techniques - I have the photo to prove it. She got a bargain, too!

It's Spring and the gardens are all full of Tulips which are apparently Turkey's national flower. Yes I thought they were Dutch too. But we were told that the Dutch "stole" them and I don't think the Turks have forgiven them.

Now we are off to Mykonos and I will add to all this next session. For now: over and out!

By the way, do you know what Turkish delight is? According to our guide it's what they call belly dancers.

Comments

1

Looking forward to hearing about the bargin shopping! It all sounds like a wonderful adventure.

  Jan Apr 11, 2010 6:47 PM

2

Hi Copper,
Would have loved to have had a spy camera on the flight to Greece! Great to hear that you have so many stories so early on in your journey. Will follow.

Magpie

  magpie Apr 12, 2010 8:17 AM

3

Hi Copperowl and Helen,
What fantastic experiences so far!! I'd have loved to be on that plane. I can almost smell the excitement of the Greeks going home. I love those little surprises that you get when you travel, looking at an excavated ancient wall as you eat breakfast, for example. You never know what is around the corner. You can plan your visit, but it is those unexpected experiences that make it.
I've never been to Istanbul. I imagine that the churches are full of gold and bright blue colours that the Eastern Orthodox use.
Keep writing. I am living vicariously through your travel!
The Snow Goose

  The Snow Goose Apr 12, 2010 4:03 PM

About copperowl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.