Existing Member?

Third Age Adventures

Koh Samui (after the wedding)

THAILAND | Thursday, 25 January 2007 | Views [246]

The day after the wedding twenty of the wedding party (including the bride and groom) went out today on a Cruise to an island and a marine national park. Naively I’d thought we’d climb aboard the cabin cruiser from a pier. But no! We waded through the water and climbed a ladder at the back. We did this 4 times in all – 4 times on and 4 times off… Of course the boat didn’t stay still while this was happening. It bobbed up and down and swung as well. One time, getting off, I thought I’d sit down on the seat and slide off. Good idea – but my undies and skirt got caught on something on the boat. There I was, attached to the boat by my undies as the boat bobbed up and down. Someone – don’t know who – don’t want to know who – eventually detached them. I felt like the masthead, except at the back!!

 The water was often waist deep so our clothes got saturated, but it was hot and they dried out quickly (only to get wet again next time). I wasn’t the only ungainly one, thank God. The cruise took us to one island where people got off and snorkelled and then a second one where we had lunch. A third island was the sea-kayaking venue. Of course it was possible to just sit on the beach, which we did.

 The trip back was quite rough. Or compared with the trip out. Coming back we were going against the swell so we would lift up and drop suddenly. To the accompaniment of screaming by one of the women. One was really quite frightened. She closed her  eyes - perhaps praying. Promising God all sorts of things if he would only got us to shore. She held her hat over her face so that she couldn’t see anything. Poor thing. Meanwhile the tour guides stood unperturbed at the back. Standing on the steps outside the railing and holding on with one hand. I decided I wouldn’t panic till they did.   And worry wasn’t required as we got back safely.

 Next day we went on a bus tour around Samui. After the boat trip yesterday it was a cinch getting in and out of the bus. Well, only in comparison. First off to the “Big Buddha” in the north of the island. then, via a lookout (where we looked back at Chaweng) and to an elephant and monkey show. I have concerns about these – how do they train the animals? Is cruelty involved. But not committed enough to boycott the show..  The elephants were gorgeous. They say there are 7000  elephants left in Thailand – about 4000 of them in the wild. And that the “tricks’ keep them occupied so they don’t get bored. I choose to believe them!!

Fourth stop was a waterfall with elephant trekking. I decided to brave the elephant ride. We boarded from a platform – this involved stepping onto the elephant and flinging yourself into the chair. I had visions of stepping on the elephant and just tumbling over the other side. But, thank God – or thank Buddha, I didn’t. Then about half an hour of riding on the elephant. The elephant was “driven” by a young Thai man who agilely slid off and leapt on at will. The couple ahead of us were riding a male with tusks. At one stage it did a piddle and the guide said – “Look Ma’am. Waterfall”  We laughed and then he said “Big Donger”. Which it was.  Off we went to the real waterfall and the elephants all had a drink. One sprayed water all over the others – which of course, included us. Then back to base – another step on the elephant and with a couple of people holding our hands and a giant pull and safely off.

 A bit further on we stopped again to see a mummified monk. He died about 30 years ago and he didn’t decay. (Although I have to say he didn’t look totally normal either.) So they put him in a class case with sunglasses on to remind everyone to follow Buddha. I’m not convinced that works though. Outside we were able to approach a Buddhist monk who gave us individual blessings. This involved some chanting and some sprinkling with holy water. Not unfamiliar! Then he tied some woven string around our wrists. Duly blessed. A few diehard Catholics were a bit reluctant, but I reckon any blessing you can get from anyone is a bonus. It’s one of the benefits of being an agnostic – no sense off misplaced loyalty.

Final stop was at the Grandfather and Grandmother stones. Grandfather stone is a giant rock that resembles – even looks as if it’s been carved out to resemble – male genitals. Nearby is the Grandmother stone that for all the world looks like female genitalia. That clinical diagram you see in books – from below.

Back at the hotel and I went shopping. As I passed the Indian Restaurant, the spruiker reminded me that I had promised to eat there tonight. So I honoured that promise. Chicken Rogan Josh and 2 coconut milkshakes – less than $6.

About copperowl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.