Existing Member?

Third Age Adventures

the Guinness Book of Buddhas

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 19 August 2007 | Views [144]

I’d booked a tour to Lantau island  to see the giant Buddha, (the largest seated outdoor... Buddha in the world. -The bus was due to pick me up at 1.30pm. Then the bus didn’t turn up. So they rang from reception and I had to get a taxi to “The Holiday Inn” to pick up the tour. Eventually we were at  the same place at the same time,  and I could join the tour. The day was incredibly misty/foggy. We drove up into the hills of Lantau through the mist. When we pulled up at the Buddha, we could hardly wee it! But all of a sudden the mist rolled back – and there above us this enormous Buddha just appeared. What a magic moment!

 Then off to the LoPin Monastery – the fog was very atmospheric – if not condusive to definitive photos! Finally we went to the Tai-O Water-Village where all the houses are built on stilts. Not unlike the villages north of Bangkok. But probably poorer, by the look of it. One man was living in a very tiny place – not bigger than a cupboard and it was full of newspapers. I get cranky at tourists in these places – photographing everything and everyone without any care about their privacy. Some things just have to be remembered…

About copperowl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.