Existing Member?

Third Age Adventures

Macau

MACAU | Saturday, 18 August 2007 | Views [242]

When I woke up the day was clear and so was my head. I’d slept well and long. Got up at 6.30 am – had early breakfast, and off to the Macau Ferry. All my typhoon worries were – as usual – for naught.

 I walked down to the ferry terminal and bought a ticket for the 9.00am ferry. I was trying to get a return ticket – the woman kept saying “Full, Full”. I asked for 5pm. “Full”. 6pm? “Full”. So I asked “What time can I have?” “7pm”. Ok, so off I went. Most of the way you can see land – then you lose sight of it for a bit. Suddenly there was an enormously long bridge connecting a couple of islands, and here was Macau.

Macau is a separate country to Hong Kong. So Immigration, Passport Stamps and so on. I found a gateway with hardly any people so I went through – I discovered later that it was for Diplomats, Disabled people and those over 65.

I found my nephew and his wife who are living and working here. . We went off wandering, through cobbled streets and little lanes – the Portuguese influence was obvious. So were the Casinos!! So many of them – including James Packer’s Crown Casino. Apparently there’s suddenly a number of Australians, now in Macau, working at the Casinos. There is the most amazing church which only has a facade - I didn't go behind to see how it is propped up. It's live a set for a stage-play!

We headed off onto one of the other islands – all by local bus. Had lunch in a lovely little restaurant – and then we walked around to a little church of St Francis Xavier. (With Chinese Lanterns.)  Across the narrow river was mainland China. Funnily enough, with the same functional housing they have in Eastern Europe.

Finally a quick trip back to J & S's nice little apartment. Then back in a taxi to the Ferry Terminal and despite the “Full, Full” of the morning, I got onto the 6.30pm ferry.  Lovely day.

About copperowl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Macau

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.