Existing Member?

Third Age Adventures

At Sea

UNITED STATES OUTLYING ISLANDS | Sunday, 5 October 2008 | Views [228]

 

I’m sitting in the pool area – the blue Pacific behind me, in front of me, all around me. I’m on a little mobile island called the Rhapsody. It’s a large ship and full of Aussies, and Poms who are now Aussies!

I’m sitting beside the most amazing pool – all done in Egyptian symbols with columns, mummies, and the sacred falcon (Horus?) Somehow they have simulated waves so it sounds like the beach. Beside me is a hedge of something pungent – it affects my sinuses but it has improved my sense of smell so that everyone who goes past leaves a trail of perfume, or talcum powder, or sunscreen. Or body. From the clientele of the boat you’d never know that 40% of marriages don’t work – everyone it seems, is coupled. With love obviously being blind – I’ve never seen so much wobbly skin. Or stiff legged walking.

 Nearby is a raucous group having a “Throw a beanbag competition”. Why, I don’t know. It’s part of the entertainment, I guess. I never know why people feel the need to get involved in that. Is there an inbuilt need to be competitive – to “win” all the time? Or is it part of the feeling that for the duration of the trip, they are part of this transient community.

What could be better than this? Sitting looking out over the Pacific. Listening to music from a violin and guitar by the sound of it, from below. The light-filled atrium is open to the roof and lets what’s happening below filter up. Around me, peace, punctuated by raucous laughter. I’ve been reading  again – this time Jackie French’s “Seasons of Content”. My own season of content and all the questions about the future.  The light footprint on the environment and being in tune with the seasons. The life filled with creativity and music – like that coming from level 5. Sheer bliss!

  Tonight we had the Captain’s champagne event – apparently there are 1600 Aussies on board. Later we watched the show – called “Piano Man”. A tribute to Elton John, Billy Joel, Stevie

About copperowl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United States Outlying Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.