Existing Member?

He only went out for some milk A blurb of monstrous proportions - it was only supposed to be a couple of lines and the odd photo.

Maui

USA | Wednesday, 13 February 2008 | Views [1078]

out of this world...

out of this world...

Maui is a small island with a big volcano.  Haleakala may only be 10,023 feet (3055m) high, but it would be a lot taller than Mt Everest if measured from the ocean floor.  The road up also allows the biggest change in elevation in the shortest distance in the world - 10,000 feet in 38 miles...allegedly.

I had even less time on this island - Maui is a very popular island and it's also a very expensive one.  If i hadn't have had such a bad night before, i should have slept in the car again.  Without a lot of luck, or some pre-booking, this is not a backpacker place at this time of year.  What it is though is an amazing but busy island - with moon like Haleakala crater, quaint towns with a bit of history, gorgeous beaches, clear blue seas with great diving, lush green forests, and amazing scenic drives.

Again I'm here for volcanoes and diving.  Molokini crater is a largely submerged, volcanic, crescent shaped crater.  It was a pre-dawn start, but i didn't mind - sunrise occurred as we are pulling out of the bay, a bay crammed full of humped back whales!  They were everywhere we looked, they even took us by surprise a couple of times by swimming just under the boat.  This was going to be an interesting dive.

Interesting it was - and warm too.  I got to wear 2 wetsuits, the sea was extremely calm, the water was clear with visibility around 80 feet and the whales were singing, and singing, and singing.  2 long dives, a couple of turtles, a small shark, an octopus, a lot of eels and I was pretty happy - wow, can those whales sing.  With the long dives and the amount of time we spent watching the whales a lot of the day had gone.  I'd just enough daylight to explore some of the west coast and the town of Lahaina.  This is where it's 'all at'; bars, cafes, restaurants, old buildings, museums, art galleries, tourists, cars, traffic accidents...

I got sucked into every gallery to drool over some of the paintings.  I like to buy originals from countries i visit, but at $54,000 for the one i love - i had to pass this time.  I really like this town, even with the tourists - what a shame I'm not a millionaire.

I've just got time the next day to make the winding drive up to Haleakala crater.  I rushed around trails, read signs, took pictures, felt faint - I'm usually good with altitude.  I guess 90 minutes is not quite long enough to acclimatise.  The views are amazing, and I'm particularly lucky that I had a clear view of the crater - all 7.5 by 2.5 miles of it.

I really like Maui, there's a lot of traffic, but also a lot of really nice places.  With more time and more money i would love to come back.

Tags: diving, island, volcano

 

About all_powered_up

one ruined t-shirt and one ruined pair of trousers.  cool.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.