Existing Member?

He only went out for some milk A blurb of monstrous proportions - it was only supposed to be a couple of lines and the odd photo.

O'ahu continued

USA | Saturday, 23 February 2008 | Views [1054]

Me and the birthday girl - it´s probably a good job we can´t see ourselves

Me and the birthday girl - it´s probably a good job we can´t see ourselves

My time in Hawaii is coming to an end - I've already extended my onward flights twice.  I really didn't want to leave, and Darren and his girlfriend Kalei have been extremely generous and obliging hosts, considering my disruption to their lives.

Darren is a Canadian (a Mr nice guy), Kalei is a kama'aina (a local girl) and I'm a haole (a Caucasian outsider).  Only the tone or what comes before this term will let you know if it's a bad thing :-)  I'm an obvious haole, and my English reserve is probably amusing to the locals.  When Kalei met me at the airport (as Darren was working) she hugged me, gave me a kiss on the cheek and placed a lei around my neck.  An slightly overwhelmingly but lovely greeting.  It wasn't any less nice because it was Kalei's second time welcoming a Shane that morning.  My flight had been delayed, she had seen a backpacker she thought was me and asked if he was Shane - he was.  So she greeted him Hawaiian style and then discovered he was the wrong Shane...

Kalei: "erm, can i have my lei back please"

Very funny, but extremely disturbing that there was another me out there at the airport.

It's been a great and privileged stay, being able to do things a lot of tourists couldn't, and living a life like a resident (albeit one without a job); I've been to a birthday party, a gay bar (yes i know, and don't ask), and a charity concert for Hawaiian language schools.  This was a real opportunity to see a lot of Hawaiians together, how they interact in big family/friend/neighbour groups, how they look after each others children, their love of music, food and social interaction.  It was a music and people watching treat for me as well as an introduction to the Hawaiian language and its 12 letters.  My favourite word is keiki, as my parents often have coffee and the similar sounding cakey time - they'd get more than they bargained for in this case, as it means coffee and children time.

With Darren's help I've seen lots of O'ahu - having travelled all over the island now, amongst many things visiting a couple of heiau's (temples), the royal birthing stones (stones which the royal family gave birth on - ouch), I've hiked up 2000 feet for views over the coast, sat and ate cooked shrimp by the roadside, a Chinese meal from the beach and I've tried body boarding at the infamous huge waved Waimea north shore.  I have a lovely video of me catching a wave wrong, being lifted into the air, pummeled face first into the sand and then being bent over backwards in an extremely painful impersonation of a contorting ostrich.  It really hurt, and needless to say has ended my body boarding and surfing career.  I've also seen the picturesque valley of temples and spent time in the punchbowl - a crater shaped memorial/graveyard to the 'fallen'.  The views from the rim gave me joy and the contents filled my with a profound feeling of loss.

I've driven frustrated around the crowded roads of Honolulu, walked the touristy and busy beaches of Waikiki and lounged on Darren's balcony attempting to paint Hawaii.  I've not been very successful so far.  All in all I've had a great time.

I really like my time here; i really don't want to leave - i need to become a backpacker again and leave my friends in peace.

Tags: island, volcano

 

About all_powered_up

one ruined t-shirt and one ruined pair of trousers.  cool.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.