Existing Member?

He only went out for some milk A blurb of monstrous proportions - it was only supposed to be a couple of lines and the odd photo.

Bob's Gone AWOL!

COSTA RICA | Tuesday, 26 February 2008 | Views [2761]

Remember those good times Bob?

Remember those good times Bob?

Fed up of being treated like a piece of baggage, Bob my trusty backpack has decided to leave me in Phoenix on route to Charlotte, north Carolina.  Bob I`m sorry i crammed you to bursting, dragged you through the dirt and then looked at those sexy, young models because you looked old and worn - please come back!
 
Within 2 minutes of arriving at Honolulu airport to fly to Mexico via Phoenix i discover my flight has been delayed 3 hours and my connection would be screwed.  It's ironic that i could have chosen a later (by 20 minute) flight, but didn't due to the shorter transfer time and this one was doing OK.  I got a boarding card for a later flight from Phoenix and only discovered when I'd arrived that it would send me to Charlotte.  Could this be the name of Cancun's airport i wondered, i didn't think so, so i checked.  Thank goodness i did, without telling me, they were expecting me to fly to Charlotte, stay overnight and then catch a flight (with no ticket) to Cancun.  Thank you US Airways.  My luck changed with the help desk lady, i wrangled a free flight to wherever was the next place they were flying to in Central America, which turned out to be Costa Rica, along with 2 drinks vouchers.  As my 2 bottles of wine put me into a much needed sleep, little would i know Bob wasn't with me and that i was to get a nice wake-up call to the joys of travelling.
 
At around 11pm, the outside of San Jose's arrivals is a bustling free for all with taxis and touts.  I need that wake-up, I'm dead on my feet as it's been nearly 40 hours since i slept properly, i speak very little Spanish, I don't have a place to stay in town and I'm not sure where town is.  In typical style I'd read just enough to get by when arriving in Mexico.  It's funny, but i wasn't worried at all, just angry and upset, and then angry some more that I'd let this bother me - after all it's really not a big deal, just annoying.  After about 30 minutes of trying to recall all i knew about Costa Rica, getting distracted by people watching (there were lots of weirdos around), i finally got back to reality and organised somewhere to stay and a lift there.  It would be another day before i could snap myself out of feeling sorry for myself - come back Bob, i miss you...

Tags: On the Road

 

About all_powered_up

one ruined t-shirt and one ruined pair of trousers.  cool.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.