Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

Jiu Zhai Gou Valley

CHINA | Tuesday, 23 September 2008 | Views [933]

This mountain area is just stunning!  This is a small town area with a National Park which has kilometer after kilometer of crystal clear blue lakes and waterfalls.

The colours were breathtaking and special as we trekked thru the national park (much to the surprise of the Chinese tourists who do the park on a green bus!) .  However after 3 weeks of cities the nature had us smiling like we had just got married!

We walked hand in hand with the gorgeous views of the round mountains, the lakes, waterfalls.  The water was SO gorgeous Briel wanted to dive in - but when he laid a hand the water was like ICE.  So he decided last minute NOT to jump in!

The city outside the park is cute and has a fwe resturants and stores to buy goodies.  The towns in the park and outside are Tibetian so you get a feel of what Tibet might be like.  The faces of the people were also different - now becoming the smiling darker faces who communicate with you in a series of "hellos"  - all in different tones to try to tell you something.  Pretty funny really.

What was great was also the food here.  SOme places not cheap but great.  The street food was awesome.  There is Tibetitan Pitas!!!!! So we ate this with some BBQ beef and BBQ vegies.  YUMMY .  THey laughed when we asked them only to put a BIT of spice... The spice in this region is shocking!

The area is 12hours bus ride from Cheng Du and cost 150 RMB there and 135 RMB to get back.  Flights are about 700 RMB one way but the airport is also 80kms from the park so you would need another 300 RMB to get a taxi to the villiage.

Price of the National Park is 220 RMB + 90 for the green bus.  You can NOT do the bus if you prefer.  There is a student price if you have student IDs - 170.

It is forbidden to stay inside the park.  However there are local villiages inside which are very Tibetian.  They will sneak you inside to sleep for about 70 RMB a night.

However we chose to leave the park as we were only going by walking trek and the villiage was near the front gate so to stay a night was not really worth it for us.  Plus to stay just outside the park is 40 RMB for us BOTH.  This is private room with TV and hot showers. It is worthwhile to look around as they all offer this same price but the cleanliness and facilities can differ a bit.  We got s stunning room for this price.

Anyway ciao for now!  Pics to come soon.

Tags: china, jiu zhai gou

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.