Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

Lion Grove and more

CHINA | Wednesday, 10 September 2008 | Views [835]

Today we went to the Lion Grove garden - along with about a 1000 others...  So at first it was a fight for the bbest photos.  We walked around a bit, but basically waited till all the tourist buses had gone.  Then it was  peacefull charming place.

This garden is about 600yrs old, was originally a monastary till the local rich family took it over.  It is pretty and typical in style with lotus flowers, ponds, bridges, boat, natural rocks which are craved. 

Later we went to another museum to see more ancient art - be warned in these places they keep the temp cold to preserve the art so bring a jacket.

Then we went to our fvourite local family eat.  We ate a stack of vege dumplings and stir fried spinach.  Oh nd I finally saw the Soy Sauce! We ate all this plus a big beer for 26RMB together (less than 3EUR).  Not bad.  This is not the price at resturants, you will need to look for the local eating places.  Bring your phrasebook as there is often no menu even in Chinese let along English hehehe

The family we eat with are fantastic.  Even when language is a barrier they really try to communicte with us.  You can feel the warmth from them, that they enjoy having you there.  Tonight we eat there again... yummy I can not wait.

Ciao for now.  I will upload more pics soon!

Tags: china, eating, lion garden, suzhou

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.