Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

Taj Mahal

INDIA | Wednesday, 27 August 2008 | Views [788]

We arrived in Agra mid off the day and set out looking for a guesthouse. Tht prices vary from 300-600rup a night. It being more expensive doesn't mean its better so it is worthwhile to look around.

We then had fun eating the delicious and cheap street food..Samosas, noodles, sweets. Next mornirq we headed to the Taj Mahal. Entrance is 20rup for locals and 750 for tourists. Video not allowed along with heaps of things like ear phones, phones. Video is possible from doorway for 25rup extra.

The builinq and surrownding structures are pretty. The Taj itself made of white marble with gemstones carved into the tiles. All done perfectly with wondeful detail..An amazing piece of art.

This was built by the 5th Mongol king. Dedicated to his 4th wife when she died in childbirth to their 14th child. He was devasted by the loss of his favourite wife so spent 17yrs and 40,000,000rup to build the memoral.

He is now buried there with her. He was to build the same again in black across the river, but his son imprisoned him instead to prevent more money wasted. There are 4 towers, each a symbol for each wife..On one side is built a Mosque, the other a royal palace so royalty had place to stay when visiting. The other 3 wives are not buried with them as they were not Muslim but are buried close by on the compound.

The surrounding buildings now houses the security personel, but was once hotels to the public. The British constructed the gorgeous gardens. Before was only mud. Was really amazing to see. Am now glad I had to come back.

Don't take a tour guide. They don't tell you or show anything extra than your guide book. If you do it is possible to bargin them down from 500 to 100 rup. After which they will take you to some stores outside the Taj to buy shone works or jewellry.  You can bargin alot here on the prices.

Photos to come soon once I get proper access to internet.  So please do look out for them as the Taj is magnificant.

Ciao for now.

Tags: taj mahal

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.