Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

DO NOT stay at KARKI guesthouse POKHARA

NEPAL | Monday, 21 July 2008 | Views [4714] | Comments [5]

DO NOT stay at the KARKI guesthouse in Pokhara lakeside. They are a bunch of liars. The Karki Guesthouse is a nicely built guesthouse in Pokhara. That is where the positive aspects end of this place. Please DO NOT stay at this hostel/guesthouse. The owners are complete LIARS who have no respect for honesty towards the tourists. The 1st lie -- We came looking for a hostel/guesthouse with a nice view in Pokhara Lakeside. Finding a charming building we went inside to talk to the owners. We settled on a price for a room with a balcony. We said ok - we see you tomorrow. On arrival the next morning (after checking out of our excellent guesthouse which had no view) we arrive to find that the room we agreed to is now no longer available. He has given it to someone else. To make a quick extra few bucks he gave the room to someone who would stay only a few nights. -- We would effectively stay 3 weeks. Much more money in the long run. At this we decided to forgive him, he gave us another room for slightly cheaper price for our agravation. We talked with him nearly every day about changing rooms. About taking the room we discussed when we returned from out trek. There was NO mistake which room and price we talked about now. No excuses for further lies. LIE number 2 -- On our return to from the trek not only did we not get the room we discussed. However we they had the nerve to tell us we were WRONG and that they never promised us that room for that price. It was late at night, so we stayed that night - going to bed thinking, were we wrong all that time? LIE 3 -- The next morning Briel talked to the owner (the man this time, not the wife). He admitted to Briel that WE were correct. However the wife had screamed at him for giving the room away for that price. Okay the room they gave us instead was also nice. We MIGHT have let this go. LIE 4 -- While we go to sit for breakfast. He tells us that the room for 2 weeks will be at the agreed price. BUT it will also have an extra 10% tax. OKAY time to leave. This is just too much bullsh^t to deal with already. Firstly we have stayed nearly 2 months in Nepal. No guesthouse has charged us a 10% government tax. This is rubbish. If there is a tax, then the guest should tell you this UPFRONT or have it in a sign somewhere in the reception. To tell you this AFTER you have unpacked your bags is DISGUSTING. The price wouldn't affect you really. It is the fact that they LIE about it that is frustrating. They just want to scam out as much money as possible. We have MOVED to somehwere a bit more expensive but they don't LIE to us. The problem is that many tourists will not say anything about this. They will let it go as a frustrating event during the travels. However WHY reward bad people??? They don't deserve ANY business. NOT AT ALL. Let's give the business to someone making honest money. So I urge any travellers to Pokhara NOT to stay here but also NOT to give business to ANYONE who acts like this in ANY country. For businesses - TOURISTS are NOT stupid. They know when you give them BULL --- the difference will be if they are just TOO nice to say or do anything about it. However once they leave, I know they will talk trash about you. I have been warned of many destinations and hotels by such travellers. We listen & take their advise. So IF you think you don't loose money from ONE traveller that is annoyed. THINK AGAIN. We talk, we write, we listen. Thanks for reading... Thanks in advance for anyone who doesn't put up with this... Thanks for all those who write their experience to share with ours for warning! Ciao for now... More stories of GREAT adventures and FUN soon!

Tags: guesthouse, hostel, hotel, nepal, pokhara

Comments

1

The person who want best accommodation and pay 5 US$ per night. how possible?how can they got good room. the baster can write any things. forget it.

  sameer Jan 15, 2011 7:47 PM

2

Mr. Sameer , the best rooms that you talk of may be worth more than 5$ , but if you have made a deal to give it in 5$ then there is nothin left to give a damn about, if you think that business is cheating and stealing then be ready to be called a cheat/thief.........RIP

  RIP Feb 27, 2011 4:13 AM

3

mr sameer should learn some hospitality classes!!
in hospitality people makes money not by cheatin and changing words,
when the guest is not happy thats not called hospitality,learn the meaning of this industry and come to discuss with people!!!
appreciate the information about karki guest house in pokhara who ever have wrote this,

  prince Feb 2, 2013 11:45 PM

4

I know how frustrated you had been when they tried to mug you by lying thousand times. I am a Nepali from Pokhara, they never spared a fellow country man, how will they spare you? All those people in lakeside are of the same type, except for some splurge hotels like Fishtail Lodge, Fulbari Resort, Pokhara Grande. All those lakeside entrepreneurs are cheaters.. bastards...

  Another Sameer Feb 14, 2014 9:53 PM

5

In 2006 I stayed with Ram Karki and his family for about 4 months continuously. I love the place (KGH) and I love the the family. For what its worth I'm Australian and widely traveled. For those who claimed they were scammed try, if you can, to understand that the Karkis, MAY, appear to be well off. They ARE NOT!
Life is tough, really tough. For over 15 years, until 2006, Ram was forced to travel everywhere on a bloody awful motor cycle. They don't eat like royalty and finding money for simple things like school uniforms etc can be really tough. I personally have met MANY lying, cheating fellow travelers...people who seem to delight in screwing the relatively less well off than themselves. Try walking in Nepalese (and other) shoes for a while. I knew the two older Karki kids, Sweta and Susan very, very well and two more honest children would be hard to find. THEIR PARENTS ARE HONEST !!! CHEERS.

  BRIAN METCALFE Apr 27, 2015 9:37 AM

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.