Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

Muay Thai Advance class!

THAILAND | Wednesday, 11 June 2008 | Views [2380]

Well the same day that Izhar and Laila got married - Briel and I moved up to the advance Muay Thai class.  Congratulations - well maybe not!

If we thought that the other class was hard, this is really a killer. Having our techinique now pretty good, the power we generate in punches and kicks from good technique is also much better now.  Apparently we were ready for the advance class.  Much to a lot of protest from us both and comments like "umm err are you sure?  really?  nah?  do I have to go?"

Despite our attempts to stay in the intermediate class where the focus is on technique to generate the power.  Advance class is now preparing you for the competition fights... I guess they forgot I don't DO real fights...The focus now - your cardio condition so you can last the rounds.  Your power so you can choose the right moment to unleash the knowck out punch (yeah right) and speed - if they can't see your kick then they can't block it.

We have been so worn out after these classes.  There is no more the warm up with some streching - after you skip for 30 min you go right to bag, fighting or pad works.  The rounds are 3 minutes with 30 seconds breaks.  Seems reasonable?  well consider that after each round we have to do 20 push-ups so by the time you finish it is time to start the next round.

There is little to no slacking off as the class is small so full power for every round is the ONLY option.  The are time we are not working on the condition, instead while we hang on a pole someone else is punching our stomachs with the trainers NOT allowing the punches to be light.  FUN yeah?  In every round I have not kicked, punched or been kicked as many times as this level.  The trainers offer no breaks.  They are breaking you to get stronger to be able to last the real fight.

I feel broken, but there is still smiles on our faces.  With love for the sport we head every day for more. I love the training.

II did go back to the intermediate class a few days later.  I was nearly dragged back to the advance class but I conviced them to let me stay one last time - so Briel could flim us and take pictures.  The intermediate class trainers where the ones I adore and learned from - I wanted my memories to be of them.

Nazee has more than 800 fights behind him.  He is the head trainer and amazing in a fight.  He was the champ for a long time in Thailand.  However many of our trainers are champs or were.  Maz was a legend, Rose a kickass.  Wow I have been privlidged to work with some of the best.

Tags: muay thai, thailand

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.