Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

Visa Runs to Burma

THAILAND | Thursday, 5 June 2008 | Views [667]

Many a passports can enter Thailand with a visa on arrival for 30 days.  So we needed to do a visa run.  A visa run is basically a whole day event which includes breakfast, lunch, bus and boat ride to cross the border into Burma. This costs 1400-1500 Baht a person.  Not bad really.  Although I wish they would just let us renew or extend for a cost rather than waste a whole day. 

The boat ride itself is rather pleasant.  About 30 minutes.  It is on an old slow boat that seems to just chug away happily and slowly.  You boat seeing alot of jungle along the way with little villiage settlements.  You get a great view of some of the buddahs on the shore line - as always very gorgeous.

Arriving in Burma was not the war zone Rambo portrays - at least where we landed anyway.  s soon as you get off locals hassel you non stop to buy cigarettes, alcohol, viagra, ladies (BOOM BOOM) etc etc.  I was lucky enough to escape the annoying harrassment since I look quite local and they assumed I was one of the people helping the tourists do the visa run.

So Briel and I have stamps in our passports for Burma.  COOL.  I would hoping to get a chance to eat something - but we basically hopped of on the deck, walked up to a open garage where the officials were wearing slippers and singlets since ir was so hot, got the passports stamped and then boarded the boat again.

Pretty funny experience!  Ciao for now!

Tags: burma visa run

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.