Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

More penguins and Seals!

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 15 April 2008 | Views [888]

About 10 minutes drive from the boulders is a natural home for penguins.  These penguins were the yellow eye penguins which are pretty rare in the world.

You can see the penguins behind a cabin with viewing windows.  They limit your access to the penguins so that they can live without having to deal with us humans.  Which was great I think.

Seeing them play, be lazy or sing was so cute when we were not around.  They really just were themselves and we could watch them for hours.  With the penguins were also seals.  Once baby seal was feeling playful and tried to have the others seals wake up to no avail.  Was cute to see him turn to chase a penguin who frantically ran away not understanding that there was no harm in the chase.  We couldn't stop laughing.

You can walk a bit further in the area and see more bird colonies, seals and some penguins that like the adventure off the cost up the mountain a way.  SOme were pretty used to seeing humans but still was not impressed if you go too close.

Was a great laast day.  What was even better was this reserve was all for free!  COOL.

Ciao for now.  Driving to Christchurch now.

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.